Re: How did I kill it - Althlon XP-M Overclock

rms

> It ran Prime95 successfully for ~ 2hours, before I needed to go out.
> Temperatures had peaked at about 65C (too high ?

Yep, too high, though remember alot of failures occur right at startup
when voltage is first supplied to the cpu and the fine connecting wires burn
out, hitting high temp weakens them before the end. You can check the max
temp for it at: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

rms

Paul

rms wrote:
>> It ran Prime95 successfully for ~ 2hours, before I needed to go out.
>> Temperatures had peaked at about 65C (too high ?

> Yep, too high, though remember alot of failures occur right at startup
> when voltage is first supplied to the cpu and the fine connecting wires burn
> out, hitting high temp weakens them before the end. You can check the max
> temp for it at: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
>
> rms

If the silicon die is exposed, I'd check for chipped
edges or a crack in the die. It is possible for a
heating/cooling cycle, to finish the thing off. So
check for visible faults first. Some of those chips
survive quite nicely with chips off the edges of the
silicon die, so a small chip doesn't guarantee death,
but a chip or crack could spread over time.

Paul