Re: How did I kill it - Althlon XP-M Overclock

Wes Newell

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:42:25 +0000, Ian Riches wrote:

> I've just seemingly killed my first processor due to overclocking -
> something I've done to ever processor I've owned since an Intel P90!
>
> It was an Athlon XP-M 3000+. I'd wound it up to about 2400MHz (13.5 x
> 178), but got some errors after an hour of Prime 95, so put it back to ~
> 2300MHz (14 x 166). Core voltage was 1.7V. This is on an Asus A7V8X
> mobo.
>
> It ran Prime95 successfully for ~ 2hours, before I needed to go out.
> Temperatures had peaked at about 65C (too high?), at one point, but were
> typically 60-61C. I switched off the machine.
>
> Four hours or so later, the machine would not start. Discs span up, but
> there was no beep, and no signal to the monitor.
>
> I cleared the CMOS, but to no avail.
>
> Replacing the old CPU brought the machine back to life.
>
> Any ideas what killed it? I could understand it dying in action, so to
> speak, but to run successfully, shut down OK, and then completely fail
> to restart sounds really odd.

65C doesn't exceed the max temp, but it is way too hot IMO. Generally, it
should run under 60C under load. And like a light bulb, failure usually
occurs during rapid cooling or heating, meaning when powering up or
powering down. You could try lowering the default settings for the cpu and
you may get it to work at a slower speed. But not worth the effort IMO
when you can get a newer, much faster, system these days for peanuts.