Re: Digitizer Pen or Stylus

Rainald Taesler

dee.cee.vee wrote:

> Thinking about buying a new tablet. Haven't decided on what I
> want, but I was wondering if there is any benefit to the digitizer
> pen over the stylus.

Technology-wise there's worlds between!!
Touch-screens are rather dumb. They just recognize that that some place
on the screen an event has occurred.
Digitizers, however can make use of the finest movements of a pen on the
screen.
You may know what the professional designer products of Wacom can do.
Most TabletPCs with a digitizer screen use Wacom technology.

I've been using an iPAQ for years and I have been working with my
HP/COMPAQ tc1100 TabletPC for 2 1/2 years now. The difference of pen
input is tremendous.

> Seems to me that it would be a pain because I
> tend to get up for a cup of coffee and leave my stylus in the
> kitchen or somewhere and come back empty handed... but at least I
> can touch the screen or look around and find another stylus
> somewhere ..

This should really be no problem.
As Beverly already said most TabletPCs have a "leash to tie the stylus
to the machine.
I am very fine example for what is called "absent minded professor". I
tend to loose everything (pens, lighters etc. etc.). But in the 2 1/2
years of using my tc1100 I did never loose my stylus.
After a year or so of using it I decided to tie it to the computer with
a string (long enough to work really comfortable). And so it's always
where the computer is.
Apart from that: for safety reasons immediately after buying the
TabletPC I got a second pen on eBay*- just "in case". It's sitting in a
pocket of my computer backpack and would always be available should I
really loose or misplace the "main" pen.

> I have a bazillion of them everywhere for just that
> reason .. Of course ---- I have my favorite stylus, sterling silver
> with an ivory tip that my jeweler made for me !!

And you did not loose that? <g,d&rf>
I'd love to have something like that <!g>.
But even such a fine stylus should not influence your decision!

There are really fine pens for a digitizer board produced by Cross:
http://www.wacom.com/Tabletpc/accessories.cfm

And there is not too much magic about the digitizer. It's just the
magnetic tip.
Couldn't you ask your jeweler to to convert the existing pen?

All in all: Don't go for a touch-screen device.
Go for the beef and get a really working tablet device.

HTH
Rainald

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> But in the 2 1/2 years of using my tc1100 I did never loose my
stylus. <<
>> And you did not loose that? <g,d&rf> <<

One's wallet is a powerful motivator ;-)

What I did was purchase a "replacement pack" of two additional styli for
my Fuji and still have all three after a year and a half... fwiw, they
digitizer styli work on the pocketpc's, just not the other way round.

Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

TomK

"Rainald Taesler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> All in all: Don't go for a touch-screen device.
> Go for the beef and get a really working tablet device.

Why settle for either/or? I was looking at an HP tx2525nr tablet PC at Best
Buy the other day. It does both touch screen and pen input. Take a look...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1211587729489

Tom

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

To clarify, a "touch screen" responds to any pressure... i.e. a stylus
pen, finger, chopstick, etc...

Touch screens work great on any small screen device such as a pocketpc
since, when using a small device, the stylus or finger is the only thing
touching the screen at the one time.

On the larger "tablet" screens, it is difficult to use a stylus without
resting the heel of your hand on the screen itself, and, when you do so,
the additional contact of that part of the hand also generates unwanted
screen inputs.

With an active digitizer, you can comfortably rest your hand or touch
any other part of the screen and only the tip of the stylus will
generate a recognized input.

TomK wrote:

>> All in all: Don't go for a touch-screen device.
>> Go for the beef and get a really working tablet device.

> Why settle for either/or? I was looking at an HP tx2525nr tablet
> PC at Best Buy the other day. It does both touch screen and pen
> input. Take a look...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1211587729489

This is a touch-screen model.
It has no digitizer.
And there is no combination of two things.
It's just a touch-screen.
And in fact it really is either/or.

Tablets with a touch-screen always have a pen. One can draw and write.
It's just as using a stylus an a PDA. Did you ever try to really *write*
on a PDA?
It makes a *huge* difference if the pen is just used with a touch-screen
or a digitizer. Recognition of what is "inked" works totally different
and the digitizer works far superior than a touch-screen.
For very basic drawing and writing a touch-screen may be sufficient. But
the real TabletPC functionality requires a digitizer.

Rainald

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> When you are writing on a tablet with digitizer Pen,-does the input
panel come up and you write on it? or can you write anywhere? <<

No simple answer... and varies with programs.

For example, Windows Journal comes with the Tablet os and it emulates
paper notepads so you can write just like it was paper. Other
applications such as OneNote offer the same and MS Office has Tablet
extensions (which I don't use and can't comment on)

There is a TIP input panel (do I remember your sig on the pocketpc
forums?) which is similar to the pocketpc inputs... select handwriting,
block letters, keyboard and number pad which will then input into the
current programs insert cursor and in _most_ programs, tapping the input
cursor will bring up a TIP icon and tapping that opens the tip.

Otherwise, the pen functions just like a mouse.

>> also. Once a while back I had some tablet Software where I could

write something in notepad form and email it - in my own handwriting.
Or draw a picture and click "email." Did I dream this? Or is it real."
I haven't been able to find it again, I thought it was A Microsoft
program. <<

Yes... think it's in OneNote, might even be in Journal (again, have
never used it)

fwiw, from my viewpoint, makes sense if you need to send sketches, but,
personally, I feel it tends to generate a negative reaction when someone
sends handwriting instead of text... more than once ;-)

Hope this Helps
Beverly Howard

Sven

And in fact the 2000 series does both. It has a touch screen that responds
to my PPC stylii, my finger, chopsticks etc, but also comes with an active
digitizer, which lets you move the cursor around while hovering over the
screen a bit, no contact, and responds to pressure differences, which might
matter to me if I had any artistic talent. Plus responding to the buttons on
the stylus, for right clicks or whatever, which a touch screen would not do.

message news:uH8f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> To clarify, a "touch screen" responds to any pressure... i.e. a stylus
> pen, finger, chopstick, etc...
>
> Touch screens work great on any small screen device such as a pocketpc
> since, when using a small device, the stylus or finger is the only thing
> touching the screen at the one time.
>
> On the larger "tablet" screens, it is difficult to use a stylus without
> resting the heel of your hand on the screen itself, and, when you do so,
> the additional contact of that part of the hand also generates unwanted
> screen inputs.
>
> With an active digitizer, you can comfortably rest your hand or touch any
> other part of the screen and only the tip of the stylus will generate a
> recognized input.
>
> Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

Sven

"Rainald Taesler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TomK wrote:
>
>>> All in all: Don't go for a touch-screen device.
>>> Go for the beef and get a really working tablet device.

>> Why settle for either/or? I was looking at an HP tx2525nr tablet
>> PC at Best Buy the other day. It does both touch screen and pen
>> input. Take a look...
>>

> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1211587729489
>
> This is a touch-screen model.
> It has no digitizer.
> And there is no combination of two things.
> It's just a touch-screen.
> And in fact it really is either/or.

No, it is both, I can use the stylus that came with it, over the screen and
the cursor follows it without touching the screen. I can use buttons on the
stylus to affect different actions, like right click. Those are marks of an
active digitizer. I can also poke things with my finger, like in the MCE
interface, and have it respond..touch screen.
The 2000 series is both touch and digitizer. The touch is not super
sensitive, so I have not had the issue of it reacting to the heel of my hand
when writing, but it is a touch sensitive screen.

Sven

Interesting observation Bev. You and I are both old enough to remember when
a handwritten note was much proffered to a typed one.

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> fwiw, from my viewpoint, makes sense if you need to send sketches, but,
> personally, I feel it tends to generate a negative reaction when someone
> sends handwriting instead of text... more than once ;-)
>
> Hope this Helps
> Beverly Howard

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> CrapUSA <<

They are gone... online only and really it's tigerdirect.

That said, before you jump, would try to get some "hands on" time with
the units you are considering.

>> I think I want to get a larger one this time. Something with DVD <<

hmmm... tread carefully... I made the same choice with the T4215 but,
after my beloved Vaio Picturebook, it's proving to be "too much"
hardware to lug around in comparison. If I traveled regularly, the dvd
might be worth the weight and size, but think I would be happier with an
8.5" screen and a docking station.

Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]