Re: Dimension C521 will not turn on

Ben Myers

Replace the power supply and hope that everything else has not been damaged.
Unless Dell has chosen a wretched Bestec power supply for this model (unlikely,
but turning up in other Dell desktops, sadly), the power supply may have
sacrificed itself for the rest of the system. So get another power supply and
see what the next step is... Ben Myers

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:22:30 -0500, tiyogi <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The unit was running during thunder storm. There was a power failure
>during the storm and electrical power was lost in the area. When the
>power returned and the unit would not turn on.
>
>I have read through a number of posts on the various forums looking for
>help.
>
>Here is what I have done so far
>1. When the power button is pushed in there is a audible click
>click. (from Dell forum)
>2. When the power button is pushed in the is no response, no fan no
>hard drive nothing.
>3. When the power button is pushed in the is momentary flashing of
>the light ( sorry unable determine color). The light just blinks on then
>off as the button is pushed.
>4. When the plug is plugged into the power supply there is a amber
>light on the MB with the label AUX PWR LED
>5. I have removed all the connections and resetted them.
>6. I have tested the power supply with one of those plug in type
>which give a go/no go lights. All of the lights come on except for the
>-5v. There is no list of a -5v on the power supply.
>
>The tester is used is an older model of the this one mine does not have
>the newer connection only the older types 20 pin, 4 pin PATA, 4 pin fan
>and floppy

>Dr. Power A2358'
>(http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1266&ID=1545)
>
>I also see that their are replacement unit sold on E-bay for about $30.
>Since money is tight around here I would rather hold off spending it
>until all other suggestes are tryed out.
>
>I did see the suggestion about using a wire to short out the
>connector, I have not done this yet. (from Dell forum)
>
>Question: I know that the shape of the supply rules out a normal ATX
>power supply, but does the unit use standard ATX power pin out for the
>24 pin connector?
>
>Question: Would it be possible to use a 20 pin power supply with an
>adapter 20-24 pin to test the motherboard?
>
>So this is what I have done so far any additional suggestions?
>:>

Ben Myers

You lose the bet. Power supply connectors on this model are standard 24-pin BTX
+ the usual 4-pin 12v connector. Your bet was based on history, back when Dell
really screwed around with power supply connectors, beginning with Pentium 1
systems and up through the lamentable Socket 423 Pentium 4's. Ever since the
Socket 478 Pentium 4 or Celeron, Dell's mainstream desktop power supply
connectors have been standard, either 20-pin or 24-pin with 4-pin 12v. Sometimes
power supply FORM FACTORS are non-standard, as with the Optiplex GX280 SFF, for
example. But you could test an Optiplex GX280 SFF with a standard power
supply... Ben Myers