Re: E2180 vs Q6600 vs E8400 (gaming)

Fishface

Beverly wrote:

> Which outta these would be the best bang for the buck for gaming?
> Obviously would overclock all of them.
>
> Prices are if memory serves me correctly
> 2180-$70
> 8400-$199
> 6600-$214

If the difference in price means choosing an inadequate video card,
I would choose an adequate video card over a faster cpu for gaming.
Gaming performance depends largely upon which games and at what
resolution you wish to play. At a given price, with a defined objective,
there is a balanced combination of parts which will give the best
performance. It's like asking what is the best intake manifold for racing.
It depends...

Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> 'Fishface' wrote:
>> If the difference in price means choosing an inadequate video card,
>> I would choose an adequate video card over a faster cpu for gaming.
>> Gaming performance depends largely upon which games and at what
>> resolution you wish to play. At a given price, with a defined objective,
>> there is a balanced combination of parts which will give the best
>> performance. It's like asking what is the best intake manifold for
>> racing.
>> It depends...

> _____
>
> Yes indeed. And the 'Nehalem will be out before "...BUT within the next
> year the majority of new games will take advantage of all four cores of
> the Q6600. Crysis already does and ArmA 2 will too." (as 'Rarius' states
> above)
>

> Phil Weldon

My Q6600 runs everything I do (mostly racing and flight simulations)
great and I am not even pushing it too far at 3.2GHz. It would probably do
so at stock speeds, but I just can't make myself run ANY processor that
way.........it seems cruel.....:-). I will most likely start building a
Nehalem system in Q1 next year for my next project. With all I have heard
and read, liquid cooling might be overkill for the Nehalem so I might try
something different and "go small and quiet" with air. Not MicroATX or
anything like that, but just a nice, compact mid-tower that will handle a
couple of 1TB drives and SLI'd 8800s. I will save some money with video
cards on the next build since I don't see any 'earth shattering'
improvements over the 760mb 8800GTXs before then. I do have a spare 8800GTS
still in the box that will end up in my current system as it is relegated to
a file server and the school gets the 3GHz EM64T for their lab. Our rural MO
schools get the short end of the education budget and are always happy to
get anything from a P3 and up that runs good.

Ed

e2180, Abit ip-35e area51 Overclocking 2 08-13-2011 05:57 PM
Re: E2180 vs Q6600 vs E8400 (gaming) Stephen Parnicky Overclocking 0 06-11-2008 10:06 AM
Re: E2180 vs Q6600 vs E8400 (gaming) Augustus Overclocking 4 06-06-2008 07:27 AM
Q6600 quad vs E8400 core 2 duo for windows 2008 gg Intel 0 04-28-2008 06:18 AM
OCing an E2180 on a PK5-VM Scotty Davis Asus 10 04-11-2008 01:09 AM