Re: ECS A740GM-M v8.0 dead after bios update

Paul

Valentim Terra wrote:
> Is it possible to fix this mobo? It's dead now.
>
> I can' try the AMIBOOT.ROM trick because this motherboard doesn't have a
> Floppy slot.
>
> Any help appreciated.

That board looks like it uses a serial flash (8 pin DIP).
Sometimes, you'll see a 2x4 header with one pin missing, and
some kind of programmer can be connected to that header. The first
such programmer I saw for sale, cost $150.00, but the price on
such programmmers has dropped since then.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-135-076-S03?$S640W$

http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs...V80_manual.pdf

There is an 8 pin DIP, near the Clear CMOS jumper, and that
looks like your BIOS chip. You'd need to find someone who
knows how to program it, to put fresh BIOS code in it.

I don't know if such designs, have a "boot block" for recovery
or not. As usual, if the boot block is erased by the tool
you used to do the flash upgrade, then no recovery is possible.
If the boot block is intact, it might prompt for a new file.
Some boot block loaders, know about more than the floppy
diskette, and there may be other options such as CDROM
or USB flash, as sources of a BIOS file. It depends on the
sophistication of the boot block code design. (On Asus motherboards,
a replacement BIOS file may be on the top level of the motherboard
CD that comes with the product. You pop in the CD, to attempt
a recovery.)

With the poor ECS manual, it is hard to tell whether anything
like that exists or not.

There are sites which offer pre-programmed BIOS chips.
Since your 8 pin DIP chip can be pulled from the socket,
you may be able to plug in another chip. Ideally, you'd
want the new, pre-programmed chip, to match the part number
of the old chip, so that future BIOS updates would be possible.
If you could send the current chip to the company doing
the flash update, then you'd be assured it would be
a consistent setup. (Before removing the chip, take note
of which pin is pin 1. You want to plug the replacement
chip in, with the same orientation. Rotating the chip
180 degrees and plugging it in, will fry it.)

http://www.bios-repair.co.uk/ref/ECS-Elite.html

" ECS A740GM-M 1.x

MX25L8005PC-15G "

That's the wrong revision of motherboard, but gives you an
idea of what they support. Perhaps a different company like that,
located closer to you, can help you recover. As long
as the chip is in a socket, you have more options available
to you.

This is a datasheet for that particular flash chip. But it
doesn't show a "markings" section, so I can't suggest what
numbers will be printed on the chip itself. When chips get
smaller, there isn't always room for a proper part number.
One set of numbers, is the week of production, such as 0823
for 2008 week 23. Ignore those numbers, and look for some
portion of a part number instead. Some chips are so tiny,
the datasheet has a lookup table, to convert from a short
code printed on the chip, to a full part number. Identification
of the chip, isn't always that easy.

http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/hq/PageLibrary4825740B00298A3B.nsf/h_Index/3F21BAC2E121E17848257639003A3146/$File/MX25L8005,%203V,%208Mb,%20v2.3.pdf

( http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/h...&EPN=MX25L8005 )

Paul

Paul

Valentim Terra wrote:
> Em 24/12/2010 19:36, Paul escreveu:
>>
>> That board looks like it uses a serial flash (8 pin DIP).
>> Sometimes, you'll see a 2x4 header with one pin missing, and
>> some kind of programmer can be connected to that header. The first
>> such programmer I saw for sale, cost $150.00, but the price on
>> such programmmers has dropped since then.
>>

> Thanks for all the info on the subject, you couldn't make it more clear.
>
> Now I know this mobo belongs to the trash can.
>
> Considering the price I paid for this mobo brand new (about 50 dollars).
> I can't imagine anyone fixing it for me for a reasonable price.
>
> It's not about the money obviously, but I prefer to buy a new one.

Another possibility, is to talk to ECS and see if they offer
a flashing service. It could be they'll agree to do it, for
a fee, through their warranty/RMA facility. For example, in
some countries, Asus will do a re-flash, for about the same
price as badflash.com would do it. There would be the price
of shipping as well. And in some cases, it might be covered
by the warranty (if there is still a warranty on the thing).

If you like a challenge, there are always projects like this.
One of the forum participants, managed to flash a board,
using the parallel port of another computer, as a flasher.
The trick, is the software driving the parallel port.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PH...topic=139099.0

Paul

Elite ECS RX480-A vs. ECS RS482-M vs. Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard? Jason ECS 1 05-25-2006 04:49 PM
Sun is DEAD DEAD DEAD !!! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Sun Hardware 5 11-03-2004 11:08 PM
my 2000FP is dead dead dead (Dallas area) MBoyd00000 Dell 2 04-27-2004 11:27 PM
dead dead dead crispy Laptops 2 09-10-2003 05:46 PM
Re: GA-6BXC Rev 1.7 dead after BIOS Update R_Supp Gigabyte 0 08-12-2003 09:05 AM