Re: Embedded Basic interpreter recommendations?

M.O.B. i L.

John Speth wrote:
> Hi everybody-
>
> This question comes up from time to time from various posters but it never
> gets an answer that fits my specific needs. Here goes:
>
> Would anyone be able to recommend a free embedded basic interpreter with C
> source code?
>
> My intended target is the STM32 which probably has enough RAM for small
> programs. My intent is to create an embedded controller board with a serial
> port that will expose a Basic interpreter/monitor to a terminal emulator.
> The user will be able to interactively enter numbered program lines,
> save/load the program to/from flash, execute the program, and run Basic
> commands in immediate mode (non-numbered lines). It's meant to be a tool
> for interactive experimentation of embedded concepts by non-programmer
> types. I suppose it's much like a Basic Stamp.
>
> I know "free" and all those features above is a tall order but if I can find
> an extensible package with some of those features it would be good too.

There is this: <http://www.cpustick.com/downloads.htm>. The BASIC
interpreter is probably written i C, but it's not open source. There is
a skeleton that is open source.

I have a STM32 Primer1 and that could possibly run a BASIC interpreter.

I think BASICs in C for Linux could be ported to embedded systems
without to much trouble.

Jon Kirwan

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 21:29:47 +0100, "M.O.B. i L." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John Speth wrote:
>> Hi everybody-
>>
>> This question comes up from time to time from various posters but it never
>> gets an answer that fits my specific needs. Here goes:
>>
>> Would anyone be able to recommend a free embedded basic interpreter with C
>> source code?
>>
>> My intended target is the STM32 which probably has enough RAM for small
>> programs. My intent is to create an embedded controller board with a serial
>> port that will expose a Basic interpreter/monitor to a terminal emulator.
>> The user will be able to interactively enter numbered program lines,
>> save/load the program to/from flash, execute the program, and run Basic
>> commands in immediate mode (non-numbered lines). It's meant to be a tool
>> for interactive experimentation of embedded concepts by non-programmer
>> types. I suppose it's much like a Basic Stamp.
>>
>> I know "free" and all those features above is a tall order but if I can find
>> an extensible package with some of those features it would be good too.

>There is this: <http://www.cpustick.com/downloads.htm>. The BASIC
>interpreter is probably written i C, but it's not open source. There is
>a skeleton that is open source.
>
>I have a STM32 Primer1 and that could possibly run a BASIC interpreter.
>
>I think BASICs in C for Linux could be ported to embedded systems
>without to much trouble.

I would hope you are right. But wouldn't they tend to depend on more
than just simple serial port I/O services for what they do? Sometimes,
just the presence of an operating system and support facilities like X
and POSIX _encourages_ their use, and in doing so entwines them. It's
worth some looking, though.

Jon