Re: what was fastest AGP card?

Benjamin Gawert

On 06.09.2010 03:43, * Orson Cart:
> I have been given several workstations that are a few
> years old. They are still quite useful (heaps of RAM, RAID SATA,
> low-noise power supplies etc.) but have Radeon 9800XT AGP cards.
> I have a scientific application in mind for them that requires fast
> rendering on large screens (2560x1600).
> What would be ATI's best of the AGP line?

If I were you I wouldn't sink any money into a new AGP card any more.
You didn't mention *what* workstations you have but the last
workstations with AGP slot were from 2004 (which is 6+ years) and mostly
used CPUs based on the slow, hot and powerhungry P4 architecture (some
also used 1st generation Opterons). The available new AGP cards are
either very old and slow by todays standards (Nvidia Geforce 7) or are
often troublesome in their driver support (ATI/AMD).

You also didn't mention what application you want to run but if it uses
any form of 3D acceleration or is CPU or I/O intensive then it is highly
unlikely you can run it at 2560x1600 on such old and slow computers.

Benjamin

Is a 2x/4x AGP v.2.0 slot compatible with the AGP 4x/8x slot? In other words, are 2x/4x AGP compatioble with 4x/8x AGP Video Cards? NIV Consulting Tyan 1 06-06-2007 11:04 AM
Fastest AGP ATI card? tod ATI 5 08-21-2005 09:54 PM
Can enabling AGP Fast Write on a AGP card which does not support this feature damaged the AGP card ? Andy Smith Nvidia 7 10-10-2003 11:05 PM
Can enabling AGP Fast Write on a AGP card which does not support this feature damaged the AGP card ? Andy Smith Nvidia 0 10-10-2003 07:42 PM
AGP question agp pro or agp 8x jhgd Nvidia 7 07-05-2003 10:39 PM