Re: How find if new motherboard chipset supported in Linux kernel

James Harris

Can anyone tell me how to check for mainboard Linux support? I cannot
find the two motherboards below (which have eight or more SATA-II
connectors) on any hardware compatibility lists. Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Especially, the Gigabyte mainboard has nVidia 590 chipset. I have an
idea this MAY be supported in recent Linux kernels but even the kernel
websites I found didn't help. Or, can I expect nForce 4 drivers to work
with the 590 - and how is one expected to find out.....?

James Harris wrote:
> How can I check whether a motherboard is sufficiently supported by
> Linux before buying?
>
> I am looking to set up a system that runs up to eight SATA-II drives
> (in a software JBOD configuration). I can find a couple of motherboards
> that have the necessary number of SATA-II ports (prefer mobo-provided
> ports rather than buying extra PCI-X or PCI-E sata cards)
>
> Requirements:
> - 8 x SATA II (for JBOD data) - must be hot swappable
> - 1 x PATA (for booting, to hold OS, and for optical drive)
> - 1 x gigabit ethernet
> + usb and the usual malarkey; boot from USB may be better than IDE
>
> FWIW, two motherboards I've seen which look good, and reasonably priced
> 1) Abit AB9 Pro - socket 775
> -
> <http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AB9+Pro&fMTYPE= LGA775>
> - 9 x SATA II
> - six by Intel ICH8R
> - two by JMicron JMB363
> - two by Silicon Image 3132
> - I know that adds to ten; one may provide the eSATA
>
> 2) Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 NF590 - socket AM2
> - 8 x SATA II
> -
> <http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductI D=2302&ProductName=GA-M59SLI-S5>
> - nForce 590 chipset - will nForce 4 drivers work?
> - LAN - Marvell 88E1116
> - two SATA controllers
> - six ports on nForce 590 southbridge
> - two ports on Gigabyte controller
>

> --
> TIA,
> James

John-Paul Stewart

[Note: Follow-ups set to comp.os.linux.hardware since my comments are
specific to Linux.]

James Harris wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to check for mainboard Linux support? I cannot
> find the two motherboards below (which have eight or more SATA-II
> connectors) on any hardware compatibility lists. Any pointers would be
> appreciated.

The brand/model of motherboard doesn't matter. What counts is the
chipset on the board.

One of the most comprehensive sites for info on SATA support under Linux
is http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html. Unfortunately, the
chipsets on the boards you mention are all very new, and consequently
not yet on the list. There's a chance they'll work with drivers for
older, similar chipsets. There's a chance the manufacturer has changed
things enough that a completely new driver will be needed. You either
have to try and see for yourself or wait for information to be posted.

In many cases, searching Google/Google Groups is the only way to get
information about very new chipsets. Doing so suggests that the Intel
ICH8R you mentioned isn't supported yet, but the JMicron is supported in
the very newest Linux kernels. No word on the nForce 590

In short, it looks like the information you're seeking just doesn't
exist at the moment.

wayne

This from the gigabyte web site

# Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
website.

So that is where to check

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html

James Harris wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to check for mainboard Linux support? I cannot
> find the two motherboards below (which have eight or more SATA-II
> connectors) on any hardware compatibility lists. Any pointers would be
> appreciated.
>
> Especially, the Gigabyte mainboard has nVidia 590 chipset. I have an
> idea this MAY be supported in recent Linux kernels but even the kernel
> websites I found didn't help. Or, can I expect nForce 4 drivers to
> work with the 590 - and how is one expected to find out.....?
>

> James Harris wrote:
> > How can I check whether a motherboard is sufficiently supported by
> > Linux before buying?
> >
> > I am looking to set up a system that runs up to eight SATA-II drives
> > (in a software JBOD configuration). I can find a couple of
> > motherboards that have the necessary number of SATA-II ports
> > (prefer mobo-provided ports rather than buying extra PCI-X or PCI-E
> > sata cards)
> >
> > Requirements:
> > - 8 x SATA II (for JBOD data) - must be hot swappable
> > - 1 x PATA (for booting, to hold OS, and for optical drive)
> > - 1 x gigabit ethernet
> > + usb and the usual malarkey; boot from USB may be better than IDE
> >
> > FWIW, two motherboards I've seen which look good, and reasonably
> > priced 1) Abit AB9 Pro - socket 775
> > -
> > <http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/mothe...d_detail.php?p
> > MODEL_NAME=AB9+Pro&fMTYPE=LGA775> - 9 x SATA II
> > - six by Intel ICH8R
> > - two by JMicron JMB363
> > - two by Silicon Image 3132
> > - I know that adds to ten; one may provide the eSATA
> >
> > 2) Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 NF590 - socket AM2
> > - 8 x SATA II
> > -
> > <http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...cts_Spec.aspx?
> > ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2302&ProductName= GA-M59SLI-S5> -
> > nForce 590 chipset - will nForce 4 drivers work? - LAN - Marvell
> > 88E1116 - two SATA controllers
> > - six ports on nForce 590 southbridge
> > - two ports on Gigabyte controller
> >

> > --
> > TIA,
> > James

James Harris

wayne wrote:
> This from the gigabyte web site
>
> # Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
> please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
> website.
>
> So that is where to check
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html

Yes, I saw that ... and it leads to a products supported page which
lists nForce as far as nForce 4, not 590, but it doesn't say how far
the chipsets are compatible, and whether the 590 will run on nForce 4
drivers.... or if they will, which parts.