Re: Five Radeon HD3850s, But Which One?

Craig Coope

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:11:10 -0500, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HIS Hightech H385Q512ANP Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X
>HDCP Ready IceQ 3 Turbo Video Card
>
> * Unit Price: $199.99

I have this one running on my now old A64 3400+ system. You'll
definately see a massive improvemant over your 9800 pro but my CPU is
bottlenecking my 3850....Still good though...Can play a few modernish
games like COD4 and Bioshock on full settings. Can't touch the likes
of Crysis with my CPU though...Well I can but I would never want to
lower my settings that much.

--
The Zero ST

Craig Coope

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:17:06 -0500, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Craig Coope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) thusly:
>
>> I have this one running on my now old A64 3400+ system. You'll
>> definately see a massive improvemant over your 9800 pro but my CPU is
>> bottlenecking my 3850....Still good though...Can play a few modernish
>> games like COD4 and Bioshock on full settings. Can't touch the likes
>> of Crysis with my CPU though...Well I can but I would never want to
>> lower my settings that much.

>Do you think it's worth the extra $70 over the SAPPHIRE? I ask this
>because the only difference I can find between the two is the HSF.
>
>Thank you for your input.

Too be honest I've no idea. I bought the HIS one as it supposedly had
better cooling. I can't comment on the Sapphire. I did quite a bit or
research before hand and I decided on this one. I think I had a long
read of this thread at the time...

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=57354

--
The Zero ST

Fred

news:(E-Mail Removed). com...

> Craig Coope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) thusly:
>
>> I have this one running on my now old A64 3400+ system. You'll
>> definately see a massive improvemant over your 9800 pro but my CPU is
>> bottlenecking my 3850....Still good though...Can play a few modernish
>> games like COD4 and Bioshock on full settings. Can't touch the likes
>> of Crysis with my CPU though...Well I can but I would never want to
>> lower my settings that much.

> Do you think it's worth the extra $70 over the SAPPHIRE? I ask this
> because the only difference I can find between the two is the HSF.

Apart from the better cooling solution the IceQ model is clocked faster than
the reference model.
The IceQ model has Graphics engine running at 720MHz and memory at 1820MHz
and takes up two slots
The Sapphire reference board is clocked at core of 668MHz and memory
at1656MHz and is a single slot card.
I would presume the other reference board designs would be the same.

Craig Coope

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:32:46 -0500, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Craig Coope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) thusly:
>
>>>Do you think it's worth the extra $70 over the SAPPHIRE? I ask this
>>>because the only difference I can find between the two is the HSF.

>> Too be honest I've no idea. I bought the HIS one as it supposedly had
>> better cooling. I can't comment on the Sapphire. I did quite a bit or
>> research before hand and I decided on this one. I think I had a long
>> read of this thread at the time...
>>
>> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=57354

>Last night I almost purchased the HIS version. To justify the extra $70
>I considered the fact that it's faster then the other four and includes
>a better HSF. That would save time having to research and installing a
>3rd-party HSF. However, the reviews at Newegg for the HIS aren't what
>you'd call great when compared to the SAPPHIRE. For example:
>
>HIS Review Summary (71 reviews)
>Excellent 32 reviews 45%
>Good 13 reviews 18%
>Average 8 reviews 11%
>Poor 4 reviews 6%
>Very poor 14 reviews 20%
>

>SAPPHIRE Review Summary (329 reviews)
>Excellent 228 reviews 69%
>Good 58 reviews 18%
>Average 17 reviews 5%
>Poor 10 reviews 3%
>Very poor 16 reviews 5%
>

>When combining the 'Poor' with the 'Very poor' that works out to:
>
>HIS 26%
>SAPPHIRE 8%
>

>Both camps recite, among other things; lack of support from the
>manufacture, compatibility with their computers and the lack of working
>drivers. But then, you have the card and it's working fine.
>
>I'm probably over-thinking this to much. Craig, I just don't know what
>to do.

To be honest I am not a PC modder...I don't care about O/C speeds
etc...I just bought the HiS one because it ran cooler and I remember
people asking on forums about modding the fan etc on the sapphire one.
My card works great but if I had the Sapphire one I'd still say that
because I don't think the difference between them would be that great.

I have always had Sapphires. I upgraded from a 9800XT to a 1950XT but
the 1950 bust after 6 months and I had to RMA it...they didn't have
any more in stock so I got the 3850 instead...and went for the HiS.

I'm sure no matter which one you bought you'd love it

--
The Zero ST

Craig Coope

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:14:34 +0100, Craig Coope
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm sure no matter which one you ****bought**** you'd love it

?!!? Err...."Buy"!

--