Re: GatewayM675PRR

Paul

Riffxyz wrote:
> Hi I have one of these machines and when I try to bootup I receive a Fan
> error message.I have put the faninto another similar machine and it
> works fine. I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem and how they
> solved the problem?

OK, let's review a few things.

1) You start the laptop. You get a error that tells you something
about a fan error and press F1 (or some other function key) to
enter the BIOS.

Once you enter the BIOS, you head to the "PC health" screen or equivalent.
Normally, there would be a BIOS setup screen, that provides readouts of
temperatures, voltages and fan speeds. You would look for a CPU fan
speed reading there. If the measured value is too low, it will read "0",
due to the way that fan speed is measured. That will definitely cause
the BIOS to flag an error.

Some BIOS have a setting called "Halt On ..." and it can be set to
"Halt on all errors", "Halt on no errors", "Halt on keyboard error"
or similar. To bypass the fan error entirely, select "Halt on no errors"
and it should get past the BIOS phase.

2) If the fan was really stopped, or running at an abnormally low speed,
the CPU is protected with THERMTRIP. If the CPU gets too hot, like
above 100C, the laptop will just shut off. You're not reporting that
as being your problem. So if the fan was totally defective, the laptop
would be shutting off. Always apply fresh thermal interface material,
to ensure good thermal transfer, between the cooling assembly and the
chips underneath it.

If you were experiencing (2), then we probably wouldn't be having this
conversation. The laptop would likely shut off in that case, before
you could even get a BIOS display.

If the laptop is remaining operational, and you can do whatever BIOS
steps are needed to get it to complete boot, then you need to
examine the actual measured CPU fan speed. You can do that with
Speedfan from almico.com .

http://www.almico.com/speedfan441.exe

Record the measured value of fan speed, on the working laptop, where
you claim it passes with flying colors.

Record the measured value on the laptop where it halts with a fan error.

If the fan speed varies by a little bit, and is a bit slower on the
laptop with the error, it could be the fan isn't getting full voltage.
You can view that as a motherboard problem, if you want (+12V lead
not delivering full voltage, pass transistor bad, etc).

All you really need to do, is bypass the fan error, if the fan really
isn't in error. Using Speedfan, if you're finding excessive temperatures,
the heatsinks are free of hair and dust, and the thing still won't stay
cool enough. it could be that the motherboard isn't providing the power
needed to the fan. While on a desktop, I could give suggestions on how
to bypass such problems, those methods aren't valid on a laptop, as
the laptop needs better control over what is wasting power. And
just permanently running the fan at high speed, then isn't a good
solution.

There are a few pictures of the insides of that laptop, using the
link posted on this page. Once you get to the named web site,
download "gateway m675.pdf". The fans on the dual fan assembly,
both have three wires, which means their speeds can be monitored
by the motherboard. A third fan, located on what is probably
the GPU, is a two wire fan, and isn't RPM monitored. If you're lucky,
it's possible Speedfan can measure the GPU temperature (but not fan
speed) as well. Or, alternatively, you can use the program "GPU-Z"
to get a temperature for the graphics chip. I use GPU-Z here, to check
the temperature on my Nvidia video card, and it works OK.
For either the CPU or the GPU, 100C (boiling point of water),
is a top limit. If they were that hot, I'd shut down immediately.
A lack of thermal paste, or air bubbles between heatsink and
chip, can cause a high temperature. Or, if the fan stops
dead, that'll do it too.

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread229839.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.4.6.html

Paul