Re: HD 4870 problems?

Jonathan Mars

Ian D wrote:
> I've been reading about the HD 48xx cards producing blank
> screens with Vista and DVI output to some LCD monitors. When
> you go on some of those forums you get a lot of complainers,
> so I was wondering if anyone here has an insight to the true
> scope of this issue. Some said they also have the problem
> with XP.

Never had any such problem using DVI on both XP and Vista64. Maybe the
DVI cable they are using is the problem. My Samsung 226bw shipped with a
single link DVI cable and current video cards need dual link cable.
Maybe that is their issue?

Anton Ertl

Jonathan Mars <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Maybe the
>DVI cable they are using is the problem. My Samsung 226bw shipped with a
>single link DVI cable and current video cards need dual link cable.

You need a dual-link cable (and a dual-link-capable video card) only
if you want to drive a monitor that can proccess a dual-link signal,
and you want a resolution beyond what single-link DVI supports (i.e.,
beyond 1920x1200).

So for your 22" monitor with a maximum resolution of 1680x1050, a
single-link cable is sufficient (that's why the monitor came with
one), and a dual-link cable would not help, because the second link
will be inactive at the resolution you are using, and the monitor
probably does not even connect to the second link.

- anton
(E-Mail Removed) Most things have to be believed to be seen

Jonathan Mars

Anton Ertl wrote:

> You need a dual-link cable (and a dual-link-capable video card) only
> if you want to drive a monitor that can proccess a dual-link signal,
> and you want a resolution beyond what single-link DVI supports (i.e.,
> beyond 1920x1200).
>
> So for your 22" monitor with a maximum resolution of 1680x1050, a
> single-link cable is sufficient (that's why the monitor came with
> one), and a dual-link cable would not help, because the second link
> will be inactive at the resolution you are using, and the monitor
> probably does not even connect to the second link.
>
> - anton

My monitor is only capable of 1680x1050 but had to use dual link cable
or I got the black screen. That was with one of those 7950GX2 video
cards so borrowed a friends dual link cable and it worked fine. Ended up
buying my own dual link cable and that is all I have used since.