Re: I'm looking for a ATI4850 but what brand??

Rotten Ronny

Gert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:48f712dd$(E-Mail Removed):

> I ordered an MSI 4850 with 512MB but the shop can't deliver it anymore.
> I've got the choice of:
>
> Asus
> Club3D
> His
> Sapphire
>
> Which one should I take. I don't like much noise, so the card with the
> most noise is the wrong choice.
>
> Can anyone tell which card is the best?

HIS or Asus. They all use the stock fan design anyway so the noise level
should be the same. Latest ATI CAT 8.10 driver has fan control so you can
lower the RPM slightly if it is too noisy. Or you can put on a 3rd party
HSF that is quieter.

DRS

"Rotten Ronny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Gert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:48f712dd$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I ordered an MSI 4850 with 512MB but the shop can't deliver it
>> anymore. I've got the choice of:
>>
>> Asus
>> Club3D
>> His
>> Sapphire
>>
>> Which one should I take. I don't like much noise, so the card with
>> the most noise is the wrong choice.
>>
>> Can anyone tell which card is the best?
>>

> HIS or Asus. They all use the stock fan design anyway so the noise

My Asus EAH4850 does not have the stock fan. It has the same 90mm fan used
on the EAH4850 TOP (note that this makes it a dual-slot card). It
accordingly runs cooler and quieter than the reference design. As it
happens I couldn't find my card on the Asus website the last time I looked
so I assume Asus only recently decided the reference design was simply not
worth the grief. Look for the "Glaciator Fansink" logo on the front of the
box as there may be old EAH4850 stock with the reference fan.

James

On Oct 16, 8:17*am, Gert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > HIS or Asus. They all use the stock fan design anyway so the noise level
> > should be the same. Latest ATI CAT 8.10 driver has fan control so you can
> > lower the RPM slightly if it is too noisy. Or you can put on a 3rd party
> > HSF that is quieter.

> Oke, thanks. Should I go for the His IceQ which has an airoutlet on the
> outside of the case or should I buy the normal one?http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=398

I had an X1600 XT with the IceQ fan and never had an issue even after
overclocking. Its a good choice.

James

Rotten Ronny

"Gert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:48f730db$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oke, thanks. Should I go for the His IceQ which has an airoutlet on the
> outside of the case or should I buy the normal one?
> http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=398
>
> I've got an Antec P182 case.

Instead of spending extra money on a new fan and having to disassemble and
reassemble why don't you just buy a 4870 instead which already has a fan
that vents outside the case?

Rotten Ronny

"Clas Mehus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ??? Why should he get a new fan for the board?

Because he said he wants a quite video card and the fan on the 4850 is crap.

> The 4870 reference-cooler is also quite annoying when it comes to the
> chages in fan-speed (yeah yeah, i know, it can be customized through
> CCC so that you can set your fan-speed manualy through short-cuts,
> but..). A 4870 with a good cooler would put some extra price compared
> to a 4850...

Don't need to do any customization anymore to control the fan speed because
the 8.10 drivers that were just released have fan control built in. The
cooler on the 4870 is much better than the 4850. I have a freind with 4850
and I have 4870. The 4850 fan dumps all the heat inside the case and the
4870 vents it to outside the case. That's why I said get a 4870 instead.
Better performance and better HSF.

> --
> Clas Mehus
> - "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Re: I'm looking for a ATI4850 but what brand?? Wookie ATI 1 10-17-2008 08:54 PM
Mail.app: Messages follow rules, but still present (but grey) in inbox? Wendell III Apple 5 07-16-2005 10:40 PM
Looking - Looking - Looking R A Matrox 0 07-20-2004 01:15 PM
Looking for Video driver specific to the pavilion 6645c Might be OT but is hw rel. nobody HP 2 02-26-2004 07:22 PM
ASPI Installed but failed to initialize 0xEB ASPI is properly installed but unable to initialize Andy Louie Hardware 1 07-14-2003 05:44 PM