Re-installed Tiger, lost a feature I've come to rely on...

Don Bruder

As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
on my MDD G4DP.

All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
want it back!

What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
things readable. Particularly useful for preventing eye-strain migraines
triggered by trying to read the practically zero contrast, tiny text
that seems to be all the rage on web pages these days. (What *IDIOT*
came up with the utterly *STUPID* idea of using 6 point type in light
gray on a pale blue background?!?! If anybody figures out who it was, do
me a favor - slap him/her upside the head two or three times for me,
wouldja?)

Being able to "Ctrl-wheel" to zoom in on things as needed was truly a
gift from above.

Can anybody tell me what feature I was using so I can start hunting for
it and get it turned back on/re-installed? Pretty please???

The other oddity is that I now have a big ol' question mark next to the
top row of buttons (back/forward, view, and action, then the question
mark) in each and every Finder window.

When I click it, up pops an alert box with the Mac "faces" logo, a
string telling me "The item cannot be found." and an "OK" button.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

David Empson

Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
> of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
> updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
> on my MDD G4DP.
>
> All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
> losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
> how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
> even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
> it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
> through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
> want it back!
>
> What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
> magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
> the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
> screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
> things readable.

That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.

It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:

System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
(with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
feature).

[...]

> The other oddity is that I now have a big ol' question mark next to the
> top row of buttons (back/forward, view, and action, then the question
> mark) in each and every Finder window.

You must have dragged something into the Finder toolbar (possibly by
accident), but the original item was subsequently deleted.

You can get rid of the question mark by holding down the Command key
then click and drag the question mark down off the toolbar before
releasing the mouse button. It will disappear in a puff of smoke.

> When I click it, up pops an alert box with the Mac "faces" logo,

For reference, in Mac OS X, that's the icon for Finder.

> a string telling me "The item cannot be found." and an "OK" button.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Paul Sture

On Wed, 02 May 2012 01:26:30 -0700, Don Bruder wrote:

> Particularly useful for preventing eye-strain migraines triggered by
> trying to read the practically zero contrast, tiny text that seems to be
> all the rage on web pages these days. (What *IDIOT* came up with the
> utterly *STUPID* idea of using 6 point type in light gray on a pale blue
> background?!?! If anybody figures out who it was, do me a favor - slap
> him/her upside the head two or three times for me, wouldja?)

I was going to say join the queue, but I'd be perfectly happy to hear
that someone else has done the slapping :-)

--
Paul Sture

Don Bruder

In article <1kjhinz.1soh38911n44ojN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
> > of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
> > updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
> > on my MDD G4DP.
> >
> > All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
> > losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
> > how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
> > even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
> > it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
> > through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
> > want it back!
> >
> > What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
> > magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
> > the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
> > screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
> > things readable.

> That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
> Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
>
> It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
> setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
>
> System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
> (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
> feature).

No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? ) to get a
panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
else.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
posting in with a "how to contact you" address, and I'll get back to you.

nospam

In article <jnrn1c$lbg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > > What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
> > > magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
> > > the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
> > > screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
> > > things readable.

> > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
> > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
> >
> > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
> > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
> >
> > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
> > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
> > feature).

> No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
> Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? ) to get a
> panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
> the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
> Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
> buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
> else.

it's in universal access.

Doug Anderson

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
> > > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
> > >
> > > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
> > > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
> > >
> > > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
> > > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
> > > feature).

> > No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
> > Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? ) to get a
> > panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
> > the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
> > Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
> > buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
> > else.

> it's in universal access.

More specifically (I think) under

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Seeing

and then the "Options" button under "Zoom".

Don Bruder

In article <020520120925514765%(E-Mail Removed)>,
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
> > > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
> > >
> > > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
> > > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
> > >
> > > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
> > > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
> > > feature).

> > No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
> > Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? ) to get a
> > panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
> > the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
> > Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
> > buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
> > else.

> it's in universal access.

Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...

WTF?!?!?!?

(I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
hosed on the MDD)

--
Don Bruder - (E-Mail Removed) - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Helpful Harry

In article <jnvv3u$lbf$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
> just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
> Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
> exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...
>
> WTF?!?!?!?
>
> (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
> that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
> further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
> hosed on the MDD)

It could be the mouse that's misbehaving. Try plugging the "naughty" mouse
into the other computer and then see if the option is still there, and
plugging the "good" mouse into the MDD computer to see if the option
appears or not.

It could simply be that the MDD USB ports don't recognise the scrollball
mouse properly, although that's unlikely if it worked before.

The other possibility is that you had previously installed extra mouse
software (there's a couple of different ones around or drivers from the
mouse's manufacturer) and need to also re-install that.

Helpful Harry )

Jamie Kahn Genet

Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <jnvv3u$lbf$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > In article <020520120925514765%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > it's in universal access.

> > Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
> > just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
> > Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
> > exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...
> >
> > WTF?!?!?!?
> >
> > (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
> > that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
> > further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
> > hosed on the MDD)

> While I'm pretty sure certain older versions of Mac OS X did not have
> that option in the mouse system preference panel, every version I can
> remember *does* have it in the Universal Access panel. Apple added it to
> the mouse panel more recently for convenience.

Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
happened in 10.5?

Don Bruder

In article <1kjlhsm.1ejhmqt1lnqeobN%(E-Mail Removed) z>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

> Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <jnvv3u$lbf$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > > Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
> > > just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
> > > Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
> > > exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...
> > >
> > > WTF?!?!?!?
> > >
> > > (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
> > > that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
> > > further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
> > > hosed on the MDD)

> > While I'm pretty sure certain older versions of Mac OS X did not have
> > that option in the mouse system preference panel, every version I can
> > remember *does* have it in the Universal Access panel. Apple added it to
> > the mouse panel more recently for convenience.

> Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
> least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
> happened in 10.5?

There is indeed a *KEYBOARD CONTROLLED* zoom feature in the Universal
Access pref panel. On both my Sawtooth and the MDD I'm having trouble
with. In the Keyboard & Mouse panel, under the Mouse button, both the
MDD and the Sawtooth have four options - 2 sliders dealing with Tracking
and Scrolling speeds, and a third for double-click speed, with a
"Double-click here to test" text field. The fourth is a pair of radio
buttons to set the primary mouse button. On the Sawtooth, there's a 5th
option: A checkbox tagged "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding
<pulldown to select modifier key> and an "Options..." button that rolls
down a panel to control how the cursor position relates to the movement
of the zoomed screen. On the MDD, there is no such 5th item in the
mouse-pane.

Despite both machines having the same OS - Tiger - installed.

Go figure...

I'm to the point where I'm pretty well convinced that something has gone
horribly wrong with the MDD - Nothing I've tried gets me a working
system other than "Safe boot" mode, which leaves me with a (mostly)
operational rig, but severely crippled by not being able to do anything
particularly useful.