Re: Installing Hercules Fortismo sound card on XP

shawn

shawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently decided to upgrade my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows
>XP. Everything has gone well except that I can't get my sound card to
>work. It's a Hercules Fortissmo. I downloaded the drivers from their
>site, but every time I try to install the drivers it's stops at the
>point where it says to disable the internet connection. I've disabled
>the connection, rebooted the computer and the problem still exists.
>
>Anyone got an idea of how to get around the problem? I couldn't find
>any hints on the Hercules site.

One other point is that I do get some sounds.. The basic beeps work,
but anything more complex doesn't work. I ran into something that
talked about trying to get the mixer to work, but I couldn't find any
way to do that.

Jason Tsang

You can simulate a disconnection from the internet by removing your gateway
ip from your ethernet adapter responsible for your internet access (assuming
you have an internet connection that is always up, i.e. connection through a
nic).

After that you should be able to install the drivers on that card no
problem.

You may want to download the utility from hercules which clears your
registry of all traces of hercules' sound card entries before installing the
drivers (though I'm pretty sure that isn't what is causing the problems you
are seeing at this point).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> shawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I recently decided to upgrade my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows
> >XP. Everything has gone well except that I can't get my sound card to
> >work. It's a Hercules Fortissmo. I downloaded the drivers from their
> >site, but every time I try to install the drivers it's stops at the
> >point where it says to disable the internet connection. I've disabled
> >the connection, rebooted the computer and the problem still exists.
> >
> >Anyone got an idea of how to get around the problem? I couldn't find
> >any hints on the Hercules site.

> One other point is that I do get some sounds.. The basic beeps work,
> but anything more complex doesn't work. I ran into something that
> talked about trying to get the mixer to work, but I couldn't find any
> way to do that.

Luxor

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:35:48 -0500, "Jason Tsang"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You can simulate a disconnection from the internet by removing your gateway
>ip from your ethernet adapter responsible for your internet access (assuming
>you have an internet connection that is always up, i.e. connection through a
>nic).

Yea, but why would soundcard drivers not install just because you are
connected to the internet? I've never had that happen.

Jason Tsang

Blame the installer program for the Internet connectivity check.

Hercules doesn't want WindowsUpdate to hijack the driver installation
project.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -