Re: Installing on new drive and hardware error?

DoN. Nichols

On 2010-01-05, Raymond Toy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok. In my continuing saga of getting Solaris 10 installed on my Blade
> 1000, I have now replaced the apparently faulty drive with a new FC
> drive. At first, it seemed the drive was faulty, but I think it's ok.
> I can run format on it and the tests (including verify) pass. It's the
> only drive attached, so I know it has to be correct.

O.K. After formatting it -- did you label it? (Usually after
partitioning if it is a second drive -- but the partitioning will be
otherwise set to a default based on the size of the drive -- and
probably changed by the install process.

But format is only a low-level format. You need to do the label
(another option from within the format program). Once it is labeled,
the OS should recognize it.

> But now when I try to install Sol10 over the network, the install gets
> part way through and says the one or more drives have been found but
> install cannot proceed because of either 1) Hardware failure or 2)
> unformatted drive.

"Unformatted" probably means "not labeled" in this case.

> Now what? Is the drive actually bad? Is there a HW error on the FC
> HBA? Something else?

Note that if it is a FC drive which has been used in a hardware
RAID array, you will have difficulty formatting it at first. There is
only one sequence which I know to work (from a booted system) This is
from memory, so I might have something wrong.

1) Plug in the drive.

2) issue the command "devfsadm -c disk -C" to make the necessary
device entries (including symlinks from /dev/c1t2d0s* to the
actual special device files) -- assuming that this is a second
drive in the machine)

3) "format -e c1t2d0" (Assuming that you are formatting the
second drive in a SB-1000 or SB-2000. Note that you don't need
to type the slice (e.g. "s2") for the format command.

4) as the *first* command from within format -- let it auto-detect
the drive type. (If you do *anything* else in format, such as
trying to partition it, you'll have to start over.)

5) It will then print a message saying that it needs to reformat
to change the sector size to 512 bytes. Accept this, and sit
back for a while (an hour or more depending on the size of the
drive).

6) Once this is done, partition and label the drive. Because
of the "-e" option, you will get two choices of label formats,
and you should pick the first of the two, even if it is
currently the second one -- which is an other RAID format.)

Note that if you formatted the drive before with no troubles,
this does not apply to this drive -- but it *did* to a collection of 20
72GB FC-AL drives which I got from a hamfest for $10.00 each. Once this
is done, the drive is fine and ready for use.

> I ran OBP test-all and it didn't return anything.
>
> I even attached an external USB drive and the network install did
> install (a while back) onto the USB drive.

O.K. Were you able to boot from that? If using the built-in
USB port (USB 1.2, I think) it would have been very slow.

> (The old FC drive did come back to life for a bit and I was able to
> update OBP to the latest 4.16.x version.)

Good.

> Any hints on what to look at? Or is the Blade 1000 essentially dead?

Mostly, check whether the drive has been labeled after
formatting.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564