Re: Intel BIOS BF86510A.15A

Bob Bailin

"ZorNecro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have a Gateway 500-S desktop PC. I have realized that its BIOS setup
> looks awefully familiar, indeed the BF86510A part of its ID indicates
> it is an 865 Series chipset (correct) but the .15A instead of .86A
> means this is an OEM motherboard which Intel does not directly release
> BIOS upgrades.
>
> The crying shame is if I could get the BIOS release off P05 (which is
> what I currently have) to something more modern like P19 or P22, I
> could enjoy using the on-board SATA interfaces in RAID configuration,
> and could enjoy using the Intel Desktop Control Center, and as well
> employ the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition.
>
> All these things are possible with the chips in my computer, I'm just
> held back from enjoying this because of its BIOS. Is there really no
> option outside of what Gateway provides to get this (obviously) Intel
> original motherboard working like its slightly less customized cousins?

A quick search of the Gateway site turned up this BIOS update:

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...e.asp?id=19797

which brings you up to P13, if the motherboard P/N is one of those
listed on the webpage.

Bob

ZorNecro

Thanks, I upgraded to P13 which at least is a bit more current.
Apparently entering the first part of the BIOS ID into the download
search at gateway can pick up these updates. Unfortunately, no BIOS
RAID feature in that release.

I discovered my D875PBZ resetting problem had to do with using
dual-channel memory. If I have channel A and B populated and BIOS P03,
which was what comes with every board I've received thus far, the
system boots and works until iflash upgrades it to P33, then the system
hangs and no efforts to revive it will work... until you remove memory
from channel B. Then it boots and shows CMOS menus, etc., just fine.

So I checked the CPU part of my documentation, and found it indicates
using Pentium 4 2.4C, 2.8C, or 3.0 CPUs in it. I am using a Pentium 4
2.4A. Apparently there's some issue with dual-channel memory timing and
the A/B series of CPUs that make it incompatible. (I've also not been
able to initialize the driver for on-board ethernet, so I disabled it
and put in a PCI interface.)

I understand this motherboard also dislikes Prescott technology CPUs
(Intel's tiniest transistor size for Pentium 4 478 package). I have
written Intel asking if a Pentium 4 3.0C will work (Northwood), or
whether I have to scare up one of these older CPUs for this
motherboard. We're up to rev E with Prescott, and therefore some of the
older CPUs are a bit harder to find.