Re: Intel's chipset monopoly

DevilsPGD

In message <4f010b0b$(E-Mail Removed)> someone claiming to be "Orson Cart"
<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>VIA, SiS, ATI and NVIDIA used to make chipsets for FSB CPUs up to
>Core 2 and Atom ... but all this ceased when Intel brought out
>the Nehalem.
>I still wonder why they have not granted permission to others to
>mate with their CPUs? Perhaps now they use internal memory controller,
>a crappy northbridge will not choke memory bandwidth, and OEMs
>might just select the minimum price.

If I had to guess, it would be because of what a horrible job VIA, SiS
and nVidia did. But I'm sure being anti-competitive isn't a downside to
Intel either, so it's really a win-win for them.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.