Re: Interfacing hardware with PC through USB connection

Neil

On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
> hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data through
> this connection. However i have never worked on USB interfacing before and
> am looking for some good resources or tutorials to start work in this
> field. I might also need to use a microcontroller in the interfacing
> circuitry. I cant buy expensive ready made interfacing tools available in
> the market and would want build them on my own. It would be great if you
> guys could suggest something related to such a project that might be of
> help..
>
> Thanks in advance.!
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

Oscar Almer

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:56 -0400
Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
> > hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data
> > through this connection. However i have never worked on USB
> > interfacing before and am looking for some good resources or
> > tutorials to start work in this field. I might also need to use a
> > microcontroller in the interfacing circuitry. I cant buy expensive
> > ready made interfacing tools available in the market and would want
> > build them on my own. It would be great if you guys could suggest
> > something related to such a project that might be of help..
> >
> > Thanks in advance.!
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

> Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the same,
and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it seems to
discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far I've found
it somewhat repetitive and importantly lacking in low-level details.
(Low-level details is what makes the high-level picture, after all).
And of course, it's microsoft-centric to the point that (using drivers
for) MacOS and linux isn't even discussed, which I feel is a bit odd.
It's giving me an overview of how the protocol works, but I suspect ill
have to dig into other sources (embedded processor documentation, linux
kernel stuff) to get at the information I would actually need to
implement a workable system.

Not to say the book isn't useful, but it feels, to me, a bit limited.

//Oscar

linnix

On Jul 13, 8:15*am, Oscar Almer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:56 -0400
>

> Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
> > > hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data
> > > through this connection. However i have never worked on USB
> > > interfacing before and am looking for some good resources or
> > > tutorials to start work in this field. I might also need to use a
> > > microcontroller in the interfacing circuitry. I cant buy expensive
> > > ready made interfacing tools available in the market and would want
> > > build them on my own. It would be great if you guys could suggest
> > > something related to such a project that might be of help..

> > > Thanks in advance.! *

> > > --------------------------------------- * * * * * * *
> > > Posted throughhttp://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

> > Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

> I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the same,
> and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it seems to
> discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far I've found
> it somewhat repetitive and *importantly lacking in low-level details.
> (Low-level details is what makes the high-level picture, after all).

How does your application interface look like? Do you have custom
driver/apps on the target? If so, you can just overlay your protocols
on top of the existing standards. I always start with the CDC driver
because it provides a quick and easy debugging environment (just
printf). Even if I need another driver class, I would end up with
composite device with at least the CDC debug port.

Jon Kirwan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
>> hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data through
>> this connection. However i have never worked on USB interfacing before and
>> am looking for some good resources or tutorials to start work in this
>> field. I might also need to use a microcontroller in the interfacing
>> circuitry. I cant buy expensive ready made interfacing tools available in
>> the market and would want build them on my own. It would be great if you
>> guys could suggest something related to such a project that might be of
>> help..
>>
>> Thanks in advance.!
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

>Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It
may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is
very far from "complete." I bought it, read it, and haven't
ever looked at it since. Not even occasionally, as a
reference. Wasted my time and money.

Jon

Bob

On 13 July, 18:50, Jon Kirwan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It
> may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is
> very far from "complete." *I bought it, read it, and haven't
> ever looked at it since. *Not even occasionally, as a
> reference. *Wasted my time and money.

I would have to concur, "Introduction to USB" might be more accurate,
and it is a good introduction. I think it is the most technical book
on the market though. Fortunately, it's easy enough to find a cheap
USB platform and some open source USB code and get stuck in.

I haven't seen any public projects of people doing audio/video over
USB, although this is asked about now and then. I would be interested
if anyone knows of any.

Jon Kirwan

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 13 July, 18:50, Jon Kirwan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It
>> may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is
>> very far from "complete." *I bought it, read it, and haven't
>> ever looked at it since. *Not even occasionally, as a
>> reference. *Wasted my time and money.

>I would have to concur, "Introduction to USB" might be more accurate,
>and it is a good introduction. I think it is the most technical book
>on the market though. Fortunately, it's easy enough to find a cheap
>USB platform and some open source USB code and get stuck in.
>
>I haven't seen any public projects of people doing audio/video over
>USB, although this is asked about now and then. I would be interested
>if anyone knows of any.

I think there is a HUGE need here for something like a
MindShare book on the subject of USB. Something that delves
into all aspects, hardware _and_ software, and from host to
slave. The USB specs, thorough in their own way as they may
be, aren't entirely helpful to a newcomer. I was able to
learn from them but it wasn't until I saw actual code that
_some_ things came a little clearer.

I've been learning some as I go, from exactly the method you
mention above, but I would very much like to see a thorough
book on the topic from someone who has been there, done that,
and done so comprehensively and can cover the various cases
from personal experience and experimentation.

Big hole needs filling here.

Jon

Oscar Almer

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
linnix <(E-Mail Removed)-for.us> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 8:15*am, Oscar Almer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:56 -0400
> >

> > Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

> > I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the
> > same, and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it
> > seems to discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far
> > I've found it somewhat repetitive and *importantly lacking in
> > low-level details. (Low-level details is what makes the high-level
> > picture, after all).

> How does your application interface look like? Do you have custom
> driver/apps on the target? If so, you can just overlay your protocols
> on top of the existing standards. I always start with the CDC driver
> because it provides a quick and easy debugging environment (just
> printf). Even if I need another driver class, I would end up with
> composite device with at least the CDC debug port.

I'm not the OP, which may be who you want to ask. Topic drift setting
in again.
My main complaint about the book is that, as someone else pointed out
in a different branch, it covers the basics but not the details. I
would not be able to implement a USB device from just reading the book.

//Oscar