Re: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when using AMD Athlon 64's Cool'n'Quiet in Windows XP Pro. SP2

meerkat

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) et...
> [...]
> *
> *
> ************************************************** *****************************
>
> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
> An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address
> at an
> interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
> caused by drivers using improper addresses.
> If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
> Arguments:
> Arg1: 01000002, memory referenced
> Arg2: 0000001c, IRQL
> Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
> Arg4: 8050177b, address which referenced memory
>
> Debugging Details:
> ------------------
>

> READ_ADDRESS: 01000002
>
> CURRENT_IRQL: 1c
>
> FAULTING_IP:
> nt!KiTimerListExpire+a7
> 8050177b 807f0220 cmp byte ptr [edi+2],20h
>
> DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
>
> BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA
>
> PROCESS_NAME: Idle
>
> TRAP_FRAME: 80550284 -- (.trap ffffffff80550284)
> ErrCode = 00000000
> eax=805502e0 ebx=00000000 ecx=805502e0 edx=00000000 esi=885211d8
> edi=01000000
> eip=8050177b esp=805502f8 ebp=805503fc iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na
> pe nc
> cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000
> efl=00010206
> nt!KiTimerListExpire+0xa7:
> 8050177b 807f0220 cmp byte ptr [edi+2],20h
> ds:0023:01000002=??
> Resetting default scope
>
> LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 8050177b to 80543a70
>
> STACK_TEXT:
> 80550284 8050177b badb0d00 00000000 805502a8 nt!KiTrap0E+0x238
> 805503fc 8050193b 8055b0a0 ffdff9c0 ffdff000 nt!KiTimerListExpire+0xa7
> 80550428 805451ff 8055b4a0 00000000 0056959d nt!KiTimerExpiration+0xb1
> 80550450 805450e4 00000000 0000000e 00000000 nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x61
> 80550454 00000000 0000000e 00000000 00000000 nt!KiIdleLoop+0x28
>

> STACK_COMMAND: kb
>
> FOLLOWUP_IP:
> nt!KiTimerListExpire+a7
> 8050177b 807f0220 cmp byte ptr [edi+2],20h
>
> SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 1
>
> SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KiTimerListExpire+a7
>
> FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
>
> MODULE_NAME: nt
>
> IMAGE_NAME: ntkrpamp.exe
>
> DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 45880f61
>
> FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_nt!KiTimerListExpire+a7
>
> BUCKET_ID: 0xA_nt!KiTimerListExpire+a7
>
> Followup: MachineOwner
> ---------
>

> I also gamed a lot over the weekend and didn't have any blue screens
> from it. For now, I disabled Cool'n'Quiet due to this annoying
> instability. Any ideas why I am having this problem? My detailed
> computer (primary one) specifications can be found here:
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ...
>
> Also, is it true that Cool'n'Quiet is stable? Two of my hardware friends

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ntkrpamp

Ant

> http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ntkrpamp

What about it? It's a legit file that's for sure.
--
"The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." --Leonardo da Vinci
/\___/\
( )

meerkat

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ntkrpamp

> What about it? It's a legit file that's for sure.

What about it?, it was a pointer to try to help you.
Now go check you Event Viewer to see what it shows.

Ant

In alt.comp.hardwre.amd.x86-64 meerkat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> >> http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ntkrpamp

> > What about it? It's a legit file that's for sure.
> >

> What about it?, it was a pointer to try to help you.
> Now go check you Event Viewer to see what it shows.

The only thing I see is Save Dump. Everything else look normal.
--
"The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." --Leonardo da Vinci
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
( )

Tony Hill

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:31:20 GMT, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsp6dnRHghqOfXZfbnZ2dnUVZ_uOmnZ2d@mminternet. net...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently, I started using Cool'n'Quiet feature in my motherboard (turned
>> it on BIOS, installed AMD Athlon 64/FX Processor Driver from
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
>> , and did the extra stuff as shown in
>> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=81429 since I do
>> gaming).
>> I also gamed a lot over the weekend and didn't have any blue screens
>> from it. For now, I disabled Cool'n'Quiet due to this annoying
>> instability. Any ideas why I am having this problem? My detailed
>> computer (primary one) specifications can be found here:
>> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ...
>>
>> Also, is it true that Cool'n'Quiet is stable? Two of my hardware friends
>> like it and they always disable it.
>>

>http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ntkrpamp

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors are almost always caused by some sort of
driver. In this case it sounds like it's part ofa built-in driver in
windows (ntkeramp.exe) not functioning properly.

I would suggesting checking out the following MS Knowledge Base
article and try applying the patch to see if that fixes things:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929338/en-us

ps. the cross-posting on this was a bit excessive. Please try to keep
it to only a couple groups at a time!
--
Tony Hill

kony

wrote:

>"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsp6dnRHghqOfXZfbnZ2dnUVZ_uOmnZ2d@mminternet. net...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently, I started using Cool'n'Quiet feature in my motherboard (turned
>> it on BIOS, installed AMD Athlon 64/FX Processor Driver from
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
>> , and did the extra stuff as shown in
>> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=81429 since I do
>> gaming).

Frankly I say, forget cool and quiet. Modern OS with ACPI
power management will idle a CPU reasonably well, possibly
with the exception of the old P4 Prescott CPUs, so just
disable the C&Q, uninstall the AMD driver, and be done.
Even so, as another poster mentioned, the IRQL-not-less...
error is typically a driver, but since you have it nailed
down what you changed, unchange it.

>> However, I have had two blue screens while watching videos (DivX in
>> Media Player v6.4 and HDTV video [MPEG-2] in DVB Viewer). I never had
>> this problem in the past. With the first crash, it happened last Sunday
>> and I thought it was just a random rare hiccup. It happened again
>> tonight when I was recording and video was showing (I wasn't home at
>> that time). I got the memory dump (Kernel) and analyzed it via WinDbg:

While Media Player 6.4 is usually pretty stable, if you
prefer this simplier, cleaner interface (which I do, BTW),
you might try Media Player Classic instead.

In other words, if you only have problems in certain apps,
seriously consider replacing them. If anything, today there
is no shortage of apps for common tasks in windows.

Now on a more serious note, what kind of asshat wastes so
many people's time cross-posting this to so many usenet
groups? Geeze get a clue! If some feature you enable
causes problems, either disable the feature or avoid the
source of the problems. It isn't rocket science.

Ant

On 3/28/2007 8:08 PM PT, kony wrote:

>>> Recently, I started using Cool'n'Quiet feature in my motherboard (turned
>>> it on BIOS, installed AMD Athlon 64/FX Processor Driver from
>>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
>>> , and did the extra stuff as shown in
>>> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=81429 since I do
>>> gaming).

> Frankly I say, forget cool and quiet. Modern OS with ACPI
> power management will idle a CPU reasonably well, possibly
> with the exception of the old P4 Prescott CPUs, so just
> disable the C&Q, uninstall the AMD driver, and be done.
> Even so, as another poster mentioned, the IRQL-not-less...
> error is typically a driver, but since you have it nailed
> down what you changed, unchange it.

The reason why I enabled is because I wanted to make my system cooler
and save power when idled like when I surf the Web, using Office 2000,
or anything not heavy required. Obviously, I want to use all the system
performance for heavy tasks like games.

On my older Athlon 64 3200+ (754) box, I run Debian and it shows nice
results:

$ sensors -f
w83697hf-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore: +1.12 V (min = +0.19 V, max = +0.14 V) ALARM
+3.3V: +3.31 V (min = +0.43 V, max = +0.02 V) ALARM
+5V: +5.00 V (min = +0.03 V, max = +0.22 V) ALARM
+12V: +11.49 V (min = +0.24 V, max = +11.37 V) ALARM
-12V: +2.20 V (min = -14.58 V, max = -2.08 V) ALARM
-5V: +5.10 V (min = -5.30 V, max = -7.71 V) ALARM
V5SB: +5.59 V (min = +0.13 V, max = +0.05 V) ALARM
VBat: +1.84 V (min = +0.06 V, max = +1.28 V) ALARM
fan1: 0 RPM (min = 73 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
fan2: 2445 RPM (min = 1506 RPM, div = 4)
temp1: +90 F (high = +172 F, hyst = +106 F) sensor = thermistor

This is way better than without Cool'n'Quiet. So far, Linux/Debian is
pretty stable. I just can't get that in Windows XP on this other Athlon
64 machine.

>>> However, I have had two blue screens while watching videos (DivX in
>>> Media Player v6.4 and HDTV video [MPEG-2] in DVB Viewer). I never had
>>> this problem in the past. With the first crash, it happened last Sunday
>>> and I thought it was just a random rare hiccup. It happened again
>>> tonight when I was recording and video was showing (I wasn't home at
>>> that time). I got the memory dump (Kernel) and analyzed it via WinDbg:

> While Media Player 6.4 is usually pretty stable, if you
> prefer this simplier, cleaner interface (which I do, BTW),
> you might try Media Player Classic instead.

> In other words, if you only have problems in certain apps,
> seriously consider replacing them. If anything, today there
> is no shortage of apps for common tasks in windows.

Like I mentioned earlier, DVB Viewer (another video program --
http://www.dvbviewer.com ) also blue screened. It seems like it doesn't
matter what programs that handled both video and audio (haven't seen
WinAmp and games cause it).
--
"Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --Madagascar
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: (E-Mail Removed)NT
( ) or (E-Mail Removed)

Yousuf Khan

kony wrote:
> Frankly I say, forget cool and quiet. Modern OS with ACPI
> power management will idle a CPU reasonably well, possibly
> with the exception of the old P4 Prescott CPUs, so just
> disable the C&Q, uninstall the AMD driver, and be done.
> Even so, as another poster mentioned, the IRQL-not-less...
> error is typically a driver, but since you have it nailed
> down what you changed, unchange it.

A "modern OS with ACPI power management" *is* one that is using C&Q. C&Q
is part of that entire ACPI thing.

> While Media Player 6.4 is usually pretty stable, if you
> prefer this simplier, cleaner interface (which I do, BTW),
> you might try Media Player Classic instead.

MP Classic probably won't solve these problems. Almost all alternative
media players still use the installed Windows codecs for their function.
The only difference between media players is their user interface. If a
critical error is occurring while playing a video, then it's occurring
inside the codecs.

I'd recently been experiencing some problems with my sound inside AVI
videos. The same problem occurred inside all media players that I tried,
not just the Microsoft one. Eventually the solution turned out to be
that I had to reinstall the OS, I couldn't track it down to any level of
detail as to why it was happening. I was finding various sound-related
device drivers were failing, but never the same ones all of the time, so
I just went the shotgun approach and reinstalled the OS.

> In other words, if you only have problems in certain apps,
> seriously consider replacing them. If anything, today there
> is no shortage of apps for common tasks in windows.

It sure sounds like he's already tried all of that, and that's why he
came here.

> Now on a more serious note, what kind of asshat wastes so
> many people's time cross-posting this to so many usenet
> groups? Geeze get a clue! If some feature you enable
> causes problems, either disable the feature or avoid the
> source of the problems. It isn't rocket science.

And why exactly is this a "more serious note"? There's so few people
left on Usenet these days (probably driven away by all of those people
complaining about crossposting), and so many related newsgroups, you
might as well get all of the relevant newsgroups at the same time, just
in case one expert is reading one of the newsgroup and not the others.
Most of the newsgroups he's listed seem relevant to this problem.

And you're not going to seriously argue about the extra bandwidth that
crossposting takes. That hasn't been a problem at all since the days we
switched over to modern news server software where newsgroups are just
index links in a relational database. Besides compared to the Usenet
binary groups, Usenet text groups aren't even 1% of the bandwidth.

Yousuf Khan

kony

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 04:20:02 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>kony wrote:
>> Frankly I say, forget cool and quiet. Modern OS with ACPI
>> power management will idle a CPU reasonably well, possibly
>> with the exception of the old P4 Prescott CPUs, so just
>> disable the C&Q, uninstall the AMD driver, and be done.
>> Even so, as another poster mentioned, the IRQL-not-less...
>> error is typically a driver, but since you have it nailed
>> down what you changed, unchange it.

>A "modern OS with ACPI power management" *is* one that is using C&Q. C&Q
>is part of that entire ACPI thing.

No, it's an add-on driver, the ACPI Pwr Management works
without it.

>> While Media Player 6.4 is usually pretty stable, if you
>> prefer this simplier, cleaner interface (which I do, BTW),
>> you might try Media Player Classic instead.

>MP Classic probably won't solve these problems. Almost all alternative
>media players still use the installed Windows codecs for their function.

They use any codec you install, but has it been determined
to be a codec problem? Doubtful.

>The only difference between media players is their user interface. If a
>critical error is occurring while playing a video, then it's occurring
>inside the codecs.

False

>I'd recently been experiencing some problems with my sound inside AVI
>videos. The same problem occurred inside all media players that I tried,
>not just the Microsoft one. Eventually the solution turned out to be
>that I had to reinstall the OS, I couldn't track it down to any level of
>detail as to why it was happening. I was finding various sound-related
>device drivers were failing, but never the same ones all of the time, so
>I just went the shotgun approach and reinstalled the OS.

As a last resort, I suppose we're compelled to call it
"reasonable", in that the system sound needed to work, but
certainly there was a solution that didn't require
installing the OS. One problem with reinstalling OS beyond
the time involved, is that we might assume that you had
chosen all things that caused the OS to deviate from the
default install, and might likewise do same again... it
merely hadn't been used enough and configured as much as you
had previously, _yet_.

>> In other words, if you only have problems in certain apps,
>> seriously consider replacing them. If anything, today there
>> is no shortage of apps for common tasks in windows.

>It sure sounds like he's already tried all of that, and that's why he
>came here.

That is an arbitrary nonsensical claim. "All of that" could
be claimed by anyone, one step before the one that solved a
problem, or one step after. On the contrary we saw
indication of specific apps malfunctioning but not a
determination that everything had the same result. If
everything had, there would have been no need to point at
individual apps instead of a more comprehensive claim.

You seem to be too quickly assuming someone else's problem
must be exactly like yours. A general result like audio not
playing, is not always from the same cause, particularly it
can't be assumed when you didn't even find the fault on your
system instead of just abandoning the OS installation. It
is the least conclusive path possible.

>> Now on a more serious note, what kind of asshat wastes so
>> many people's time cross-posting this to so many usenet
>> groups? Geeze get a clue! If some feature you enable
>> causes problems, either disable the feature or avoid the
>> source of the problems. It isn't rocket science.

>And why exactly is this a "more serious note"? There's so few people
>left on Usenet these days (probably driven away by all of those people
>complaining about crossposting),

More random nonsense.