Re: Laptop for backup storage ?

.pull@shoot.com

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:17:33 +0000, Grendal
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an Acer 3680 laptop that I am rebuilding and I can get a 160 gb
>drive for under $50. Is it practical to use this laptop as a means of
>backing up my two 80 gb desktops? Really, I have only 100 gb of data
>to backup. Thanks. How might I best do this? Will it be too slow?

I think that you can use a special usb cable with crossed IN/OUT
signals between your computers. This kind of cable exist in
specialized computer stores.

GENERAL INFO besides the original question!

If you make only copies of your directories and files, you don't
back-up everything of your computer (example: registers).
This way of doing is sufficient to backup data, but if you intend to
make a full back-up who will allow you to restore your computer in
case of crash, you have to use a dedicated backup software (like GHOST
for instance).

Paul

Mike Walsh

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:17:33 +0000, Grendal
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >I have an Acer 3680 laptop that I am rebuilding and I can get a 160 gb
> >drive for under $50. Is it practical to use this laptop as a means of
> >backing up my two 80 gb desktops? Really, I have only 100 gb of data
> >to backup. Thanks. How might I best do this? Will it be too slow?

> I think that you can use a special usb cable with crossed IN/OUT
> signals between your computers. This kind of cable exist in
> specialized computer stores.

I think a crossover USB cable can be used only with Vista.
A crossover serial (rs232), parallel, or ethernet cable can be used with WinXP.
An ethernet crossover cable will give acceptable speed (very fast if you have gigabit NICs) and is easy to set up and use if both PCs have ethernet adapters.

> GENERAL INFO besides the original question!
>
> If you make only copies of your directories and files, you don't
> back-up everything of your computer (example: registers).
> This way of doing is sufficient to backup data, but if you intend to
> make a full back-up who will allow you to restore your computer in
> case of crash, you have to use a dedicated backup software (like GHOST
> for instance).

You should create restore points at regular periods to back up the registry.

--
Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

That will work. Configure each PC with a static IP address.
If you have high speed internet access now would be a good time to buy a router and connect both PCs to the router; instead of the direct connection with a crossover cable.

--
Mike Walsh

OT: Online Backup/Storage Daddy Dell 3 11-09-2010 02:46 PM
Re: Laptop for backup storage ? Jab Hardware 1 04-29-2009 03:54 AM
Tape Backup or Disk Backup Solution ZooOYork@gmail.com HP 1 03-13-2006 10:25 PM
Ultrium 2 FH: I/O errors when running backup with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 with all patches installed. WJScott69@Yahoo.com IBM 0 10-11-2004 01:01 AM
Can we replace normal battery backup system for RAM to a rechargeable battery backup system Jas Hardware 1 09-15-2004 01:57 PM