Re: Low Profile AGP or Full size PCI video card for Dell Optiplex GX270

Augustus

"Joe Peach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Well I wasted the groups time asking about a video card for this computer
> (remember, it has a low profile AGP slot and two full size PCI slots) ,
> here is the original post:

The person in the other post who told you the system will only accept 1/2
height PCI cards was wrong, as I'm sure you already know. It uses a riser
board to mount the PCI cards horizontally.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/usbdi...ell-gx270sff-3

However, there are no decent 3D performance 1/2 height low profile AGP
cards. The best I've seen is a 9600SE card or a 6200 series card. Invariably
these are 64bit and will choke even on virtually any game requiring DirectX
or Direct3D at 1600x1200. Running an RPG/RTS game at 1600x1200 requires some
degree of ability. The advice I gave you then still stands: Look for a
decent 128bit PCI card like this....
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2675&CatId=319

Augustus

"Joe Peach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank You,
>
> The picture link you sent is exactly the back of my unit.
>
> And the tigerdirect link gives me a very good idea of what I am looking
> for.
>
> If it matters, on my other computer I have an old Nvidia geforce4 ti 4600
> that seems to run all the games I enjoy, even at the high resolution
> (however, I am wanting to occasionaly start into games like "Bioshock".
>
> I probably will never play competion, so an extreme frame-rate is not high
> on my list (for now)!
>
> Will I be more amazed getting a better card?, that last question is
> probably a no-brainier.....
>
> As always, I am appreciative of any help or suggestions.

Don't expect miracles out of a decent 128bit PCI card like that X1300
unit.....for what you stated you want, it'll be fine. It's DX9.0C and should
do your RTS games vastly better than any onboard video or 64bit AGP low
profile rig. Your other GeForce Ti4600 AGP card, while DX8.1, is actually
faster than the X1300 card. Bioshock get's a very large boost from going
dual core...the game is dual core enabled. I ran it initially on a very
decent (at the time)San Diego 4000+ running at 2.8Ghz with a 7800GTX card.
It was OK, but there were slow texture loads and framerate issues in many
areas at 1280x1024. Switched to an Opteron 185 with the same m/b and card
and the difference was night/day. And I thought the video card was the
issue....it wasn't with this game.