Re: LPX motherboard booted up

Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

( you have my email )

I would tend to doubt that an Intel FX chipset board would recognize an AMD
chip, but stranger things happen. Interesting that it supports down to 2.2V
also.

I sure remember AST. Saw Gazzilions of 'em.

bobwatts
EartH

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gir6jq$9hi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I cleared away the ATX clutter on my workbench today and booted up the LPX
>motherboard I found in another clutter. It is an Intel-made board with an
>AST BIOS signature and an Intel 430FX chipset. For those who can't
>remember, AST was a trailing edge name brand, and they bit the dust rather
>early. But they did do LPX systems mostly with Intel boards along with PB,
>HP, NEC and IBM. IBM even had a Pentium Pro LPX board.
>
> With the voltage regulator now in the VRM socket and all the right
> jumpers, the board is running a 233Mhz Pentium MMX. The BIOS thinks that
> the CPU speed is 100MHz, because it evidently identifies the speed from
> the motherboard jumpers. The same jumper settings are used for both
> really-old 100Mhz Pentium and not-so-old 233Mhz Pentium MMX, as Intel had
> to reuse jumper settings for higher clock multipliers and only two CLKMUL
> pins on a Socket 7.
>
> Although the VRM supports CPU voltages down to AMD's pretty low 2.2v, I
> have my doubts whether a 400MHz AMD K6 will boot at all. Intel BIOSes are
> really picky that way, and they only want to work with Intel CPUs.
>
> I can send a photo to anyone interested, like Bob Watts, if you supply me
> with an email address. Or I can post it on alt.bin.porn.stars just to
> confuse people there.
>
> I'll try an AMD K6 later today. You never know... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

Predictably, the board stopped with a post code of D4, when the AMD K6-2
/400 was installed. Only way to work around this would be to install a
hacked BIOS, well beyond any effort I want to put in.

Photo on the way to you, Bob.

Happy holidays to all 6 of us who use this newsgroup... Ben Myers