Re: Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) Released

Howard S Shubs

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yey! Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) was released today! It's available on
> the App Store right now at $19.99, and is chock full of improvements and
> new feature goodness!
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/24/>

Please name some features which people w/o any iOS devices might be
interested in.

--
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
We are but a moment's sunlight, fading in the grass. - The Youngbloods

Davoud

Someone wrote:
> > <http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/24/>

Howard S Shubs:
> Please name some features which people w/o any iOS devices might be
> interested in.

I haven't bought Mountain Lion yet, so I can't answer your question.
(Don't despair, though; another person who also hasn't seen Mountain
Lion and who knows nothing about it will give you a detailed answer!)

I just wanted to comment on the referenced article. What a load of
dingo's kidneys! I read the first paragraph and choked. In a world that
is increasingly inured to bad journalism--if that sort of writing even
deserves to be called journalism--this piece has earned a spot in the
egregiousness hall of fame.

"In Lion, OS X began shedding the well-worn trappings of traditional
desktop computing at an accelerated rate."

Really? Speaking of well-worn, could he have possibly written a cornier
sentence? And how is it, then, that I am still using this shedding OS
the way I have for years, still running Creative Suite and Aperture and
Final Cut and MS Office and all of my astronomy apps just as I did in
the pre-lion days? Like so many people, the author has mistaken
interface changes--which are a well established practice in new
versions of the Mac OS, and many of which are optional--for a switch
from OS X to iOS. Hello!? It's still the Mac OS. Does it evolve?
Surprise--it does!

"This trend continues in Mountain Lion. Where Lion stumbled, Mountain
Lion regroups and tries again‹while still forging bravely ahead in
other areas."

What in the hell is this guy doing with his Mac? On our five Macs that
can run Lion, including two aging MB Pros, Lion is the most stable OS
to date. The rest of that is just gobbledygook. Operating systems can't
forge ahead, bravely /or/ reluctantly. People do that.

Reading on, I learned that "Mountain Lion is not the Mac OS of the
past..." Wow, really? And then I learned that Mac nerds "are not the
center of the market." No s**t!? Did he mean to say that some people
actually do gainful work with their Macs rather than sitting around
running benchmarks and, above all, hoping that it breaks so that they
can either a) fix it or b) complain that they can't get the case open
to fix it.

I hope you're still with me, because the payoff comes toward the end of
page one: The Mac is "the computer for the rest of us." I love that!
Why didn't I coin that clever phrase? Or Apple?

OK, that's all I have. The article goes on for an astounding 23 pages.
In the middle of the second page the author switches his writing style
to Vogon iambic pentameter. I predict a spike in the suicide rate among
ars technica readers.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Lewis

In message <250720122236452342%(E-Mail Removed)>
Davoud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Someone wrote:
>> > <http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/24/>

> Howard S Shubs:
>> Please name some features which people w/o any iOS devices might be
>> interested in.

> I haven't bought Mountain Lion yet, so I can't answer your question.
> (Don't despair, though; another person who also hasn't seen Mountain
> Lion and who knows nothing about it will give you a detailed answer!)

> I just wanted to comment on the referenced article. What a load of
> dingo's kidneys! I read the first paragraph and choked. In a world that
> is increasingly inured to bad journalism--if that sort of writing even
> deserves to be called journalism--this piece has earned a spot in the
> egregiousness hall of fame.

Keep in mind you are reading the first paragraph on *PAGE 24*

--
'Things either exist or they don't,' said Jeremy. 'I am very clear about
that. I have medicine.' --The Thief of Time

JF Mezei

Is it really true that scroll bars on Mountain Lion, when they appear,
are semi transparent ?

Why does Apple insist on that transparency thing which reduces readability ?

Davoud

JF Mezei:

> Is it really true that scroll bars on Mountain Lion, when they appear,
> are semi transparent ?
>
> Why does Apple insist on that transparency thing which reduces readability ?

Cher ami,

You wrote that in response to /my/ post, the one in which I said that I
have not seen Mountain Lion and don't know anything about it!?

OK, I probably should have said that I don't know anything about ML's
new features. I'm taking a stab in the dark and guessing that File Edit
View Window Help remain where they have long been.

A thing cannot be semi-transparent. Translucency has degrees that
depend on the amount of light that a substance transmits, but
opaqueness and transparency are absolutes (for everyday purposes).

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Barry Margolin

In article <260720120907440073%(E-Mail Removed)>, Davoud <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> JF Mezei:
>
> > Is it really true that scroll bars on Mountain Lion, when they appear,
> > are semi transparent ?

The Ars Technica article has an image of the scroll bars in Lion and
Mountain Lion. Both are translucent, but Lion blurs what's behind them
while Mountain Lion leaves it alone. So it's more readable in ML than L.

> > Why does Apple insist on that transparency thing which reduces readability ?

Wouldn't making the scroll bars opaque reduce readbility even more? If
you don't like the temporary scroll bars, use the system preference to
make them permanent, and then I don't think they'll overlap the text.

> Cher ami,
>
> You wrote that in response to /my/ post, the one in which I said that I
> have not seen Mountain Lion and don't know anything about it!?

I don't think he was asking you specifically, this is a group
discussion, not a one-on-one conversation.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Davoud

Davoud:
> > Cher ami,

> > You wrote that in response to /my/ post, the one in which I said that I
> > have not seen Mountain Lion and don't know anything about it!?

Barry Margolin:
> I don't think he was asking you specifically, this is a group
> discussion, not a one-on-one conversation.

I understand that. I'm not terribly fond of smileys, and I'm not
skilled in using them. If I have to tell you something is meant to be
humorous, such as my response to JF Mezei, then I failed in my attempt
to make it humorous. That appears to be the case here. I have learned
to live with the my failings and frailties and get on with my life.
Adding a smiley wouldn't have fixed my weak attempt at humor, would it?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Alan Browne

On 2012-07-26 10:27 , Davoud wrote:
> Davoud:
>>> Cher ami,

>>> You wrote that in response to /my/ post, the one in which I said that I
>>> have not seen Mountain Lion and don't know anything about it!?

> Barry Margolin:
>> I don't think he was asking you specifically, this is a group
>> discussion, not a one-on-one conversation.

> I understand that. I'm not terribly fond of smileys, and I'm not
> skilled in using them. If I have to tell you something is meant to be
> humorous, such as my response to JF Mezei, then I failed in my attempt
> to make it humorous. That appears to be the case here. I have learned
> to live with the my failings and frailties and get on with my life.
> Adding a smiley wouldn't have fixed my weak attempt at humor, would it?

It helps fend of anger when you're at risk of dropping a f/lame joke.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Alan Browne

On 2012-07-25 21:06 , Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yey! Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) was released today! It's available on
>> the App Store right now at $19.99, and is chock full of improvements and
>> new feature goodness!
>>
>> <http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/24/>

> Please name some features which people w/o any iOS devices might be
> interested in.

That nugget? That is so Mezei ca. 2010 or earlier.

On 2012-07-25 22:36 , Davoud wrote:
> Someone wrote:
>>> <http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/24/>

> Howard S Shubs:
>> Please name some features which people w/o any iOS devices might be
>> interested in.

> I haven't bought Mountain Lion yet, so I can't answer your question.
> (Don't despair, though; another person who also hasn't seen Mountain
> Lion and who knows nothing about it will give you a detailed answer!)
>
> I just wanted to comment on the referenced article. What a load of
> dingo's kidneys! I read the first paragraph and choked. In a world that
> is increasingly inured to bad journalism--if that sort of writing even
> deserves to be called journalism--this piece has earned a spot in the
> egregiousness hall of fame.

I was more amused at the trite garbage than angered but it recalls
another poorly written article I saw recently. Paid by the word perhaps.