Re: memory for packard bell

barbnewman

thanks ben. front of computer indicates 64 MB SDRAM, and i currently have

"barbnewman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> thanks roger. front of computer indicates 64 MB SDRAM, and i currently
> have 43MHz of INTEL CELERON, 6.4GB HD. i am doing a uni course and
> computing is one of the core subjects. i have to run XP and Office 2003
> and am finding the computer is really slow and battling to cope with
> everything. i can't afford to upgrade computer so i need to update my RAM.
> Have tried to purchase through comp stores in Pt Pirie and have been told
> they are not made anymore. I live in outback australia, 3 hours away from
> everywhere, and would appreciate any help you can supply. cheers. barb.
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> barbnewman wrote:
>>> live in australia and cannot purchase 124 mg memory card for packard
>>> bell axcel 3143. help1

>> Pay no attention to those other fellows, Barb. Now, memory comes in
>> megabytes, or MB, not mg. And the size skips from 64MB to 128MB then
>> 256MB, 512MB, etc. And there's different types of memory, such as DDR,
>> SDRAM and some obscure others, and in each of these types it's available
>> in different speeds. It would help to know more about the RAM you need or
>> the computer it goes into. A quick Google search didn't show anything
>> with the computer info you gave. Is there anything more specific you can
>> give, a website or info off the front of the PC or the manual to it?

Ben Myers

The computer shops are undoubtedly correct. 168-pin DIMM memory with LOW
density chips is no longer made because low density chips are no longer
manufactured. The local computer shops are also undoubtedly reacting in
ignorance as to just what sort of hardware goes inside a PB system. Many shops
seem to have clear allergic reactions to different name brands, when all it
takes is a little bit of knowledge to understand that the name brands depend on
the same commodity suppliers as everyone else.

I am amazed that XP even runs at all in 64MB. For sure, your system would work
just fine with 128MB non-parity DIMMS, either PC66 or PC100. It MAY work
properly with 256MB, which are devilishly hard to find with low density chips.

Don't despair. This sort of memory is plentiful. It's just that you have to
buy used memory, which is no huge risk at the bargain basement prices it sells
for. Your best bet is probably to mail order the memory from a reputable
source, or maybe even to buy on eBay from a seller with a good feedback record.

As a frame of reference, I usually sell this sort of memory for $US 25 for
128MB, installed for my clients... Ben Myers

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:27:54 +0930, "barbnewman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>thanks ben. front of computer indicates 64 MB SDRAM, and i currently have
>
>> 43MHz of INTEL CELERON, 6.4GB HD. i am doing a uni course and computing is

>> one of the core subjects. i have to run XP and Office 2003 and am finding

>> the computer is really slow and battling to cope with everything. i can't

>> afford to upgrade computer so i need to update my RAM. Have tried to

>> purchase through comp stores in Pt Pirie and have been told they are not

>> made anymore. I live in outback australia, 3 hours away from everywhere,
>> and

>> would appreciate any help you can supply. cheers. barb.

>"barbnewman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
>> thanks roger. front of computer indicates 64 MB SDRAM, and i currently
>> have 43MHz of INTEL CELERON, 6.4GB HD. i am doing a uni course and
>> computing is one of the core subjects. i have to run XP and Office 2003
>> and am finding the computer is really slow and battling to cope with
>> everything. i can't afford to upgrade computer so i need to update my RAM.
>> Have tried to purchase through comp stores in Pt Pirie and have been told
>> they are not made anymore. I live in outback australia, 3 hours away from
>> everywhere, and would appreciate any help you can supply. cheers. barb.
>> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Pay no attention to those other fellows, Barb. Now, memory comes in
>>> megabytes, or MB, not mg. And the size skips from 64MB to 128MB then
>>> 256MB, 512MB, etc. And there's different types of memory, such as DDR,
>>> SDRAM and some obscure others, and in each of these types it's available
>>> in different speeds. It would help to know more about the RAM you need or
>>> the computer it goes into. A quick Google search didn't show anything
>>> with the computer info you gave. Is there anything more specific you can
>>> give, a website or info off the front of the PC or the manual to it?

barb

thanks ben. helps a lot.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...