Re: What Model Dell Have You Installed Windows 7 On?

Trekman

I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a Vostro 2510 with 4GB. My Viewsonic external monitor will not do 1440x900 any longer, Viewsonic tech support was no help.

Timothy Daniels

"Trekman" wrote:
>I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a Vostro 2510 with 4GB.
>My Viewsonic external monitor will not do 1440x900 any longer,
>Viewsonic tech support was no help.

Did the problem with the monitor begin as soon as you
installed Win7 Home Premium?

*TimDaniels*

Tony Harding

Has anyone tried Win 7 Pro on a Dim 3000? IIRC, memory = 2GB.

Bob Levine

On 1/10/2011 6:58 AM, Trekman wrote:
> I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a Vostro 2510 with 4GB. My Viewsonic external monitor will not do 1440x900 any longer, Viewsonic tech support was no help.

Running on a Dimension 9100 and an Inspiron 6000 laptop. Had to use XP
drivers for audio on the laptop but it runs.

Bob

Guy Wilson

On 1/21/2011 6:40 PM, Bob Levine wrote:
> On 1/10/2011 6:58 AM, Trekman wrote:
>> I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a Vostro 2510 with 4GB. My
>> Viewsonic external monitor will not do 1440x900 any longer, Viewsonic
>> tech support was no help.

> Running on a Dimension 9100 and an Inspiron 6000 laptop. Had to use XP
> drivers for audio on the laptop but it runs.
>
> Bob

Running on a Dim 4500 w/1G RAM and 2.8GHz P4

Guy

Christopher Muto

On 1/21/2011 5:44 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
> Has anyone tried Win 7 Pro on a Dim 3000? IIRC, memory = 2GB.

it works fine. even with just 1gb it work, but with 2gb it is actually
nice. the one big issue is if you have only the integrated graphics
then you will discover that there is no intel driver available for
windows 7 and you will not be able to change the resolution. i can't
recall exactly hot to work around this but remember being able to
install the intel xp drivers despite protests from windows 7. if you
get to that point and get stuck write back to the group for pointers.
if you have some other video card then this is of no concern. also, do
not go crazy trying to locate drivers, including the chipset. once
windows 7 is installed simply run windows update repeatedly until there
are no more updates to be had. you will find that all the necessary
drivers are automatically located and installed. good luck.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Christopher Muto typed on Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:19:08 -0500:
> On 1/21/2011 5:44 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
>> Has anyone tried Win 7 Pro on a Dim 3000? IIRC, memory = 2GB.

> it works fine. even with just 1gb it work, but with 2gb it is actually
> nice. the one big issue is if you have only the integrated graphics
> then you will discover that there is no intel driver available for
> windows 7 and you will not be able to change the resolution. i can't
> recall exactly hot to work around this but remember being able to
> install the intel xp drivers despite protests from windows 7. if you
> get to that point and get stuck write back to the group for pointers.
> if you have some other video card then this is of no concern. also, do
> not go crazy trying to locate drivers, including the chipset. once
> windows 7 is installed simply run windows update repeatedly until
> there are no more updates to be had. you will find that all the
> necessary drivers are automatically located and installed. good luck.

I had very disappointing results on three Celeron processors and all
having 2GB of RAM installed. And Windows 7 RC at idle, I had these
results:

Celeron 900MHz (underclocked to 633MHz) ate 50% of the CPU.

Celeron 1.5GHz and 1.8GHz ate 23% of the CPU.

This is 7 times higher than what Windows XP uses on the same machines.
And two of these machines uses the Intel 915GM which doesn't support
Aero, while the third one uses the Intel 945GM and did support Aero. Yes
I too used the XP Intel graphic drivers too.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

Tony Harding

On 01/22/11 22:19, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 5:44 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
>> Has anyone tried Win 7 Pro on a Dim 3000? IIRC, memory = 2GB.

> it works fine. even with just 1gb it work, but with 2gb it is actually
> nice. the one big issue is if you have only the integrated graphics then
> you will discover that there is no intel driver available for windows 7
> and you will not be able to change the resolution. i can't recall
> exactly hot to work around this but remember being able to install the
> intel xp drivers despite protests from windows 7. if you get to that
> point and get stuck write back to the group for pointers. if you have
> some other video card then this is of no concern. also, do not go crazy
> trying to locate drivers, including the chipset. once windows 7 is
> installed simply run windows update repeatedly until there are no more
> updates to be had. you will find that all the necessary drivers are
> automatically located and installed. good luck.

Thanks, Chris.

Christopher Muto

On 1/25/2011 12:07 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
> On 01/22/11 22:19, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> On 1/21/2011 5:44 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried Win 7 Pro on a Dim 3000? IIRC, memory = 2GB.

>> it works fine. even with just 1gb it work, but with 2gb it is actually
>> nice. the one big issue is if you have only the integrated graphics then
>> you will discover that there is no intel driver available for windows 7
>> and you will not be able to change the resolution. i can't recall
>> exactly hot to work around this but remember being able to install the
>> intel xp drivers despite protests from windows 7. if you get to that
>> point and get stuck write back to the group for pointers. if you have
>> some other video card then this is of no concern. also, do not go crazy
>> trying to locate drivers, including the chipset. once windows 7 is
>> installed simply run windows update repeatedly until there are no more
>> updates to be had. you will find that all the necessary drivers are
>> automatically located and installed. good luck.

> Thanks, Chris.

i suspect you already figured this out... but for archival purposes here
is how the integrated video driver can be installed for windows 7 so you
can get resolutions beyond 800x600... download and run the windows xp
integrated video video driver and you will find that it fails. but you
will also find that it leaves behind a folder with the installation
utility and the windows xp drivers. go to the windows 7 control panel
and locate the video card and manually update the video drive from a
specific location and direct it to use the extract folder of the windows
xp driver. windows 7 will protest about it not being certified which
you can ignore to proceed. presto, your video driver will be installed.