Re: MySQL cluster with Sun CoolThreads servers

thegman

On Jul 6, 2:06*am, "Andreas E. Mueller" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Not sure if I'm posting my question to the right newsgroup (is this a case
> for a sun hardware or a MySQL newsgroup? I don't know), but I need to find
> an answer on it. It is a matter of many hardware resources and *not* a
> matter of "how will I get the maximum with low cost?".
>
> Some (or the most) of you will think that I'm paranoid... so I'm sorry if
> you'll think that I'm just kidding. Maybe I am really crazy anyway! *lol*
>
> I want to build a MySQL cluster with Sun CoolThreads servers in future.
> *Assuming* I have the following server (I know it is the most expensive
> CoolThreads server, but the question is not about money):
>
> Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 Server,
> 2 x 8 Core 1.2 GHz UltraSPARC T2 Plus Processors, 64 GB FBDIMM Memory (16
> x 4 GB), 16 Disk Capacity, 2 x 146 GB 10000 rpm SAS Disks, 1 DVD+/-RW, 4 x
> 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports, 1 Serial Port, 4 USB Ports, 4 dedicated PCI-E
> Low Profile Slot, 2 PCI-E Low Profile or XAUI (10Gb ethernet) Slots, 2
> (N+1) 1100W Power Supplies, Solaris 10 Operating System and Java
> Enterprise System Software Preinstalled, requires high-line (220V) power
> input, RoHS-6 Compliant
>
> How many of these machines would I need forming a MySQL cluster for
> managing about 300000 database queries in a second? (yes, I mean 1
> second!)
>
> You would ask me what type of queries... Well I'm speaking about all kind
> of queries from "simple" 3-table-join-select-queries to more complex
> subselects, insertions and updates.
>
> Please don't ask me why I need such complex and powerful things, I'm
> developing as optimal as possible, but I really need to manage such a big
> amount of transactions with a MySQL database cluster.
>
> Greets,
> Andy
>
> P.S. Sorry for any gramatical or syntactical errors in my text. I'm not a
> native english speaker. I don't even have a degree in english language...

If you've already got one machine, you could make yourself a test
program in the language of your choice to hit the server with a lot of
concurrent MySQL queries, see how many it takes until the queries stop
coming back in a reasonable amount of time. This is not going to be
super-accurate, but would give you a ball park figure about the
capacity of a machine, then just see how many machines you'd need to
get up to 300,000 queries per second.

Hope that helps

Garry

Thommy M.

Andreas E. Mueller wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:26:11 -0700, thegman wrote:
>> If you've already got one machine, you could make yourself a test
>> program in the language of your choice to hit the server with a lot of
>> concurrent MySQL queries, see how many it takes until the queries stop
>> coming back in a reasonable amount of time. This is not going to be
>> super-accurate, but would give you a ball park figure about the capacity
>> of a machine, then just see how many machines you'd need to get up to
>> 300,000 queries per second.
>>
>> Hope that helps
>>
>> Garry

> Hello Gary,
>
> I have already written a stress testing program...
>
> The problem is... I don't have such an UltraSPARC machine yet. I hoped
> there is somebody here, with experience in such a machine, who could tell
> me the approximate amount of queries for one or more of that kind of
> machines, so I could make a not-so-exact calculation.
>
> I have to calculate that before I buy these machines, because I will have
> to make a cost suggestion for my project in a few months.
>
> One machine would not be enough for one test anyway, because I need at
> least 3 machines to build a MySQL Cluster (one as a client, one as a
> cluster manager and one for simulating a cluster node), so I could test
> the amount of queries which are replyable in one second.
>
> I will first get the money for that project, if I could approximately
> calculate how many machines I need, so I can say how much this project
> will cost in future.
>
> I tested the configuration already on 3 AMD64 X2 machines (with 4 GB RAM)
> I have, but a comparison between AMD64 and UltraSPARC is a bit silly,
> because these are two different worlds. Besides... I don't have 128 GB RAM
> on each machine. *laugh*
>
> Thanks for your advice anyway. It shows me that I am on the right way of
> thinking (for now). *wink*

Ask Sun for a test machine. It's free for 60 days.
http://www.sun.com/tryandbuy/index.jsp

thegman

On Jul 10, 12:23*pm, "Andreas E. Mueller" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:26:11 -0700, thegman wrote:
> > If you've already got one machine, you could make yourself a test
> > program in the language of your choice to hit the server with a lot of
> > concurrent MySQL queries, see how many it takes until the queries stop
> > coming back in a reasonable amount of time. This is not going to be
> > super-accurate, but would give you a ball park figure about the capacity
> > of a machine, then just see how many machines you'd need to get up to
> > 300,000 queries per second.

> > Hope that helps

> > Garry

> Hello Gary,
>
> I have already written a stress testing program...
>
> The problem is... I don't have such an UltraSPARC machine yet. I hoped
> there is somebody here, with experience in such a machine, who could tell
> me the approximate amount of queries for one or more of that kind of
> machines, so I could make a not-so-exact calculation.
>
> I have to calculate that before I buy these machines, because I will have
> to make a cost suggestion for my project in a few months.
>
> One machine would not be enough for one test anyway, because I need at
> least 3 machines to build a MySQL Cluster (one as a client, one as a
> cluster manager and one for simulating a cluster node), so I could test
> the amount of queries which are replyable in one second.
>
> I will first get the money for that project, if I could approximately
> calculate how many machines I need, so I can say how much this project
> will cost in future.
>
> I tested the configuration already on 3 AMD64 X2 machines (with 4 GB RAM)
> I have, but a comparison between AMD64 and UltraSPARC is a bit silly,
> because these are two different worlds. Besides... I don't have 128 GB RAM
> on each machine. *laugh*
>
> Thanks for your advice anyway. It shows me that I am on the right way of
> thinking (for now). *wink*
>
> Greets,
> Andy

I second getting a 60 day trial, we did it here and ended up with our
T5140. The single thread performance is awful, but when you saturate
all 96 hardware threads then performance can be very interesting.

Cheers

Garry