Re: Mysterious System Shutdown

Dustin Harper

Make sure your CPU isn't getting too hot. Make sure that the heatsink is
making good contact, and you are using the right amount of thermal paste and
all fans are running.

The power supply looks suffiecent, so that shouldn't be a problem.

--
Dustin Harper
(E-Mail Removed)

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> I'm putting this out for my brother. He's having problems with his system
> shutting down. It happens a few seconds after booting, and he can't even
> get into the BIOS!
>
> Motherboard
> BFG Tech BFG680i SLi LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel
>
> CPU
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
> Dual-Core Processor
>
> Power Supply
> Thermaltake Toughpower W0104RU ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply
>
> Memory
> Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
> Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
>
> Hard Drives
> Two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording
> Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
>
> Graphics
> Two BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
> x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
>
> He sent the motherboard back for a replacement, but no help... Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keith

Keith L

Dustin Harper wrote:
> Make sure your CPU isn't getting too hot. Make sure that the heatsink
> is making good contact, and you are using the right amount of thermal
> paste and all fans are running.
>
> The power supply looks suffiecent, so that shouldn't be a problem.

That was the first thing he thought of... Remember what I wrote before
-- The Motherboard/CPU/Heatsink can be ice cold, but will shut down 3
seconds from power-up! I think we're looking for a non-obvious
solution, thanks.

Dustin Harper

What about a sticky power button? Try removing everything and putting it on
a test bench, just the MB, CPU, heatsink, RAM, video and power supply. Could
be a short somewhere. Also, try removing all but one stick of RAM.

Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious to some people. Thanks.

--
Dustin Harper
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page

"Keith L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Dustin Harper wrote:
>> Make sure your CPU isn't getting too hot. Make sure that the heatsink is
>> making good contact, and you are using the right amount of thermal paste
>> and all fans are running.
>>
>> The power supply looks suffiecent, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>>

> That was the first thing he thought of... Remember what I wrote before --
> The Motherboard/CPU/Heatsink can be ice cold, but will shut down 3 seconds
> from power-up! I think we're looking for a non-obvious solution, thanks.

Re: Mysterious System Shutdown Dustin Harper PC Hardware 2 02-21-2008 03:05 AM
Re: Can't shutdown. Won't shutdown. Stephen Adams Apple 20 04-17-2007 11:30 PM
Mysterious restarts after normal shutdown. foldercarb Gateway 3 03-03-2005 10:46 PM
KT7a mysterious trouble Erik Hayn Abit 3 11-26-2004 09:50 AM
Mysterious Shutdown kdogksu Hardware 7 12-11-2003 09:47 AM