Re: Netflix Oddity

Patty Winter

Has anyone here tried Netshade from the U.S. to access BBC iPlayer
or ITV Player?

Patty

Lewis

In message <5039a173$0$70426$(E-Mail Removed)>
Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone here tried Netshade from the U.S. to access BBC iPlayer
> or ITV Player?

I used Tunnelbear. As long as I set my DNS to some large public DNS it
worked fine. If I used my ISPs DNS, it didn't work reliably. I used
Google's DNS.

--
He'd never asked for an exciting life. What he really liked, what he
sought on every occasion, was boredom. The trouble was that boredom

Patty Winter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I used Tunnelbear. As long as I set my DNS to some large public DNS it
>worked fine. If I used my ISPs DNS, it didn't work reliably. I used
>Google's DNS.

Where did you find a public UK DNS server that allows you to run
the BBC and ITV players?

I looked around for public DNSs several months ago and had trouble
finding any in the UK. So that's why Netshade sounded interesting;
they have their own servers if you don't want to use public ones.

Patty

Lewis

In message <503a5694$0$70346$(E-Mail Removed)>
Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>I used Tunnelbear. As long as I set my DNS to some large public DNS it
>>worked fine. If I used my ISPs DNS, it didn't work reliably. I used
>>Google's DNS.

> Where did you find a public UK DNS server that allows you to run
> the BBC and ITV players?

That's not what I said. I said it didn't work with my ISPs DNS, so I
used Google's public DNS.

--
The wages of sin is death, but so is the salary of virtue, and at least
the evil get to go home early on Fridays. --Witches Abroad

Patty Winter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In message <503a5694$0$70346$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>I used Tunnelbear. As long as I set my DNS to some large public DNS it
>>>worked fine. If I used my ISPs DNS, it didn't work reliably. I used
>>>Google's DNS.

>> Where did you find a public UK DNS server that allows you to run
>> the BBC and ITV players?

>That's not what I said. I said it didn't work with my ISPs DNS, so I
>used Google's public DNS.

Hmmm, okay, I thought that public DNS servers and Google's servers
were two different things, both of which worked for you with Tunnelbear.
But I just found this page on Google's website:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

which refers to Google as having public DNS servers, so I guess you
were using "public" and "Google" interchangeably. However, I don't
see any option of a UK-based Google DNS server.

So can you tell me exactly which public and/or Google DNS servers
you used to access BBC iPlayer and ITV Player with your browser
through Tunnelbear? Or can you point me toward a list of those
IP addresses? Thanks!

Patty

Wilbur Eleven

In article <5039a173$0$70426$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone here tried Netshade from the U.S. to access BBC iPlayer
> or ITV Player?
>

> Patty

I use Witopia for that. You get what you pay for. I just bought one of
these too:

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id41-plus.html

to run XBMC in my living room through Witopia to get the BBC and ITV and
all the American stuff, like Hulu.

No, it's not a Mac Mini. I don't need a Mac Mini in my living room. I'll
install Arch Linux on it.

--

Fine then, I'm drinking coffee and rolling cigarettes and looking
out at the hot baked street and a lady just walked by wiggling it

Wilbur Eleven

In article <503ad98f$0$70416$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So can you tell me exactly which public and/or Google DNS servers
> you used to access BBC iPlayer and ITV Player with your browser
> through Tunnelbear? Or can you point me toward a list of those
> IP addresses? Thanks!

These are the IP addresses for Google's DNS:

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

I use them; they're assigned in my router. You do need a bit of spoon
feeding, don't you, darlin'?

https://developers.google.com/speed/...cs/using#setup

Still and all, you should look into Witopia.

--

Fine then, I'm drinking coffee and rolling cigarettes and looking
out at the hot baked street and a lady just walked by wiggling it
in tight white pants, and we are not dead yet.

Patty Winter

In article <k1fl5a$5b2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wilbur Eleven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <503ad98f$0$70416$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So can you tell me exactly which public and/or Google DNS servers
>> you used to access BBC iPlayer and ITV Player with your browser
>> through Tunnelbear? Or can you point me toward a list of those
>> IP addresses? Thanks!

>These are the IP addresses for Google's DNS:
>
>8.8.8.8
>8.8.4.4
>
>I use them; they're assigned in my router. You do need a bit of spoon
>feeding, don't you, darlin'?

No I don't, sweetheart. Those are the exact IP addresses I found
on the Google webpage I cited. But they are not in blocks assigned
to the UK, and there is no mention either on that page or the FAQ
page of being able to use them to emulate being in the UK, only to
hide one's own IP address.

>https://developers.google.com/speed/...cs/using#setup

I know how to configure my Macs to use different DNS servers.
I've done it a number of times over the years.

>Still and all, you should look into Witopia.

I think I did once, but considering how infrequently I would need
a UK IP address, it didn't seem worth the cost to me. But if somone
can assure me that it works with those remote video players, I'll
check on it again.

So anyone here who has accessed BBC iPlayer and/or ITV Player from
the U.S. with a Mac, what software and DNS server have you used?
Netshade? Tunnelbear? Witopia? Something else?

Patty

Wilbur Eleven

In article <503ba515$0$70412$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <k1fl5a$5b2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wilbur Eleven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In article <503ad98f$0$70416$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Patty Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> So can you tell me exactly which public and/or Google DNS servers
> >> you used to access BBC iPlayer and ITV Player with your browser
> >> through Tunnelbear? Or can you point me toward a list of those
> >> IP addresses? Thanks!

> >These are the IP addresses for Google's DNS:
> >
> >8.8.8.8
> >8.8.4.4
> >
> >I use them; they're assigned in my router. You do need a bit of spoon
> >feeding, don't you, darlin'?

> No I don't, sweetheart. Those are the exact IP addresses I found
> on the Google webpage I cited. But they are not in blocks assigned
> to the UK, and there is no mention either on that page or the FAQ
> page of being able to use them to emulate being in the UK, only to
> hide one's own IP address.
>

> >https://developers.google.com/speed/...cs/using#setup

> I know how to configure my Macs to use different DNS servers.
> I've done it a number of times over the years.
>

> >Still and all, you should look into Witopia.

> I think I did once, but considering how infrequently I would need
> a UK IP address, it didn't seem worth the cost to me. But if somone
> can assure me that it works with those remote video players, I'll
> check on it again.
>
> So anyone here who has accessed BBC iPlayer and/or ITV Player from
> the U.S. with a Mac, what software and DNS server have you used?
> Netshade? Tunnelbear? Witopia? Something else?
>

> Patty

I'm sorry. Srsly. I'm used to people asking silly questions that are a
right-click away. I haven't changed those DNS settings for a
couple-three years; your VPN wormhole uses its own DNS wherever it pops
out.

Witopia allow you to install their stuff on all the computers in your
house, but they restrict you to two connections at a time. That's fine
for us. The Mac Pro gets one and the Zotac/XBMC box in the living room
gets the other. The oul' Woman doesn't use her MacBook for that kind of
thing.

I live in Canada. I use Witopia to get the BBC etc. and also to get Hulu
and the US Netflix. Here's the big secret about Netflix: you can sign up
with a Canadian account and then set your VPN to Denver or somewhere and
you get access to the US Netflix which has about 10000000000% more
content the the Canukistani Netflix. It's all one big company, though.
If they think you're in Denver then you get the Denver content.

--

Fine then, I'm drinking coffee and rolling cigarettes and looking
out at the hot baked street and a lady just walked by wiggling it
in tight white pants, and we are not dead yet.

Patty Winter

In article <k1gebj$bos$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wilbur Eleven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>I live in Canada. I use Witopia to get the BBC etc. and also to get Hulu
>and the US Netflix.

Good to know, thanks.

>Here's the big secret about Netflix: you can sign up
>with a Canadian account and then set your VPN to Denver or somewhere and
>you get access to the US Netflix which has about 10000000000% more
>content the the Canukistani Netflix.

I've heard that complaint from Netflix customers in Europe, too.

Patty

Re: Netflix Oddity Barry Margolin Apple 8 09-17-2012 11:24 PM
Re: Netflix Oddity Lewis Apple 15 08-28-2012 02:33 AM
Re: Netflix Oddity JF Mezei Apple 1 08-25-2012 02:31 PM
Macintosh & Netflix...??? The Translucent Amoebae Apple 2 10-01-2007 01:51 AM
Netflix & mac spacemarine@mailinator.com Apple 12 05-22-2007 02:32 AM