Re: New high-resolution screens from Lenovo

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tassinari wrote:
> I used to admire Lenovo laptop screens, especially the UXGA
> (1600x1200) Flexview on the T42/43P and T60/61P, until about a year
> ago, when the mid-resolution ones (about 13xx or 14xx) came out on
> the T400/410 and T500-510, and they were ugly, with horizontal lines,
> which horrified me.
> I have never seen the recent high-resolution screens (1600 or 1920) of
> Lenovo laptops, specifically the T500/510 and W500-510 models.
> Recently the WUXGA (1920x1200) was dropped and replaced by the
> 1920x1080 screens, and I wonder whether they are still up to the
> sharpness, clarity and beauty of the old Flexview UXGA (1600x1200)
> screens on the T42/43P and T60/61P of three years ago or longer.
>
> Does anybody see them (the 1920x1200 and the 1920x1080 screens) and
> can anybody provide any comparison with the old Flexview UXGA
> (1600x1200) screens?

Hi Tassinari. To the best of my knowledge there were never T61 Flexviews
made. While Lenovo's latest screens seem fine I'll be using my FlexViews for
as long as I can. (I have four running right now, two T60s, a T43 and an
R50.) There's nothing to compare with them been made since.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tassinari wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tassinari wrote:
>>> I used to admire Lenovo laptop screens, especially the UXGA
>>> (1600x1200) Flexview on the T42/43P and T60/61P, until about a year
>>> ago, when the mid-resolution ones (about 13xx or 14xx) came out on
>>> the T400/410 and T500-510, and they were ugly, with horizontal
>>> lines, which horrified me.
>>> I have never seen the recent high-resolution screens (1600 or 1920)
>>> of Lenovo laptops, specifically the T500/510 and W500-510 models.
>>> Recently the WUXGA (1920x1200) was dropped and replaced by the
>>> 1920x1080 screens, and I wonder whether they are still up to the
>>> sharpness, clarity and beauty of the old Flexview UXGA (1600x1200)
>>> screens on the T42/43P and T60/61P of three years ago or longer.
>>>
>>> Does anybody see them (the 1920x1200 and the 1920x1080 screens) and
>>> can anybody provide any comparison with the old Flexview UXGA
>>> (1600x1200) screens?

>> Hi Tassinari. To the best of my knowledge there were never T61
>> Flexviews made. While Lenovo's latest screens seem fine I'll be
>> using my FlexViews for as long as I can. (I have four running right
>> now, two T60s, a T43 and an R50.) There's nothing to compare with
>> them been made since.

> Thank you. While Lenovo's latest screens seem fine to you, the
> high-resolution ones (the 1920x1200 and the 1920x1080 screens) do not
> look ugly to you, do they?

Well.... No worse than most other contemporary displays. However not even in
the same class as FlexViews.

> The mid-resolution ones (about 13xx or 14xx) on the T400/410 and
> T500-510 to me look *ugly, fuzzy, grainy, with horizontal lines,*
> contrary to the sharpness, clarity and beauty of the old Flexview UXGA
> (1600x1200) screens on the T42/43P and T60P.

I tried a UXGA FlexView and found it *too* hi-res in 15". (I have two 20"
Dell UXGA IPS desktop monitors and, to my eyes, 20" and UXGA is a good mix.)
Consequently I've bought my ThinkPads with (15") SXGA+ FlexViews and find
them to be a perfect pixel density for my use. Also, most of the various XXp
ThinkPads (that came with UXGA) had more powerful GPUs that could be a major
problem w/r/t overheating.

I find the SXGA+ FlexView to be a thing of beauty though and will take the
absolute best care of my ThinkPads hoping for a long life from them. They
are all capable of running Win 7 adequately, the T60s run it very well
(although I'm sticking with XP for now). That's part of the reason I prefer
the cooler-running GPUs, longevity. It's also the reason a lot of people
make 'FrankenPads', so that they can have UXGA without having a small
furnace in the middle of their laptop.

> I now have to buy a new
> laptop, and if I buy a high-resolution Lenovo, with the 1920x1200 or
> the 1920x1080 screens, it will be sight unseen, so I would like to
> know your opinion on them.

I'm sorry, I'd rather not have that responsibility. I've not taken *that*
much notice of the few new hi-res Lenovo screens that I've seen and don't
know of one that I can go look at right now for you.

Honestly, I dislike the trend to glossy, 'widescreen' laptops so much that
I've 'stocked up' with a couple highly-specced T60s which, I'm sure, will
last me for quite a few years yet. I'm slowly upgrading CPUs to at least
T7400s, as I can get them (I got my hands on an awesome LV T7400 out of a
Viao a few months ago) as these are powerful CPUs with large L2 caches. As
they come down in price I also intend to use SSDs with them. I already have
them maxxed out on RAM (as DDR2 SODIMMs are starting to increase in price
now that they're no longer mainstream).

Anyway, best of luck with your search.