Re: new system problems

Clanga

Reposted to *alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus*
Hope someone there can help you.

"Zyxak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fa60cc9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just built a new system and I'm having a few problems which may or
> may not be related to each other.
>
> The system...
> Case: Antec Sonata
> Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (I875P, PAT)
> Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB
> Memory (DDR400 - PC3200): Transcend JetRam 512MB, CL2.5 x 4 = 2 GB
> Video (AGP 8X): Gigacube ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
> Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 200 GB, 7200 RPM, ATA/100, 8MB cache
> CD Writer: LG 52x24x52x CD-R/W
> DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-106D-BK (OEM)
> Modem: NetComm InModem 56
> Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamond View 19" Flat Display, Black
> Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech Cordless MX Duo
> O/S: Windows XP Pro (SP1)
>
> The problems...
>
> 1. When booting (cold or warm) I get 2 short beeps as BIOS loads.
> Everything I've read suggests this is a RAM problem but the SiSoftware
> Sandra tests don'tshow any problems. Sandra correctly identifies all 4
> sticks as "512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-8CL 1CMD" shows 2 channels and all
> memory speeds were shown between 3970 MB/s and 4100 MB/s on the Memory
> Bandwidth Benchmark. However Sandra says "No" for Performance
> Acceleration Technology (PAT) which the motherboard is supposed to
> support. The Cache & Memory Benchmark show the performance as PR4253
> and the graph shows it as *lower* performance than the first reference
> system in the list - Intel Pentium 4-B 3.06GHz / Intel 850E 2xPC800
> CL2. That doesn't seem right.
>
> 2. Every time I cold boot the system is unable to find the hard disk
> (IDE primary, master) but the 2 optical drives are identified OK.
> However when I do a warm boot the hard disk is found OK and seems to
> work fine. I have the hard disk jumpered as "Master" rather than "CS" -
> should that matter?
>
> 3. Every time I start Windows for the 1st time (ie the second booting)
> the mouse doesn't work so I need to do a restart before the mouse works.
>
> 4. Hydravision won't load because it says it can't find an ATI driver.
> I installed the driver that came with the card and even downloaded the
> very latest driver from the ATI site and I still get this error. Also
> Return to Castle Wolfenstein which has a specific ATI setting, "ATI
> Truform", can't turn this setting on. The driver version is 6.14.10.637.
>
> This is the first system I've built in a long time so I'm not even sure
> if I've got the correct settings in the BIOS.
>
> All suggestion gratefully accepted.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------*
> =Z=
> Remove NOSPAM to reply.
> LIFE: A sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------*

DaveW

It sounds like you may be having memory errors from your use of questionable
quality RAM. Try buying quality RAM such as Corsair or Mushkin. Also your
WD harddrive should be set to SINGLE, not Master; you don't have a Slave.

--
DaveW

news:4kprb.3713$(E-Mail Removed)...

Help with my next system upgrade (not a new system): Athlon 64 X2? Conroe Duo? ... ANTant@zimage.com IBM 159 11-17-2006 03:08 PM
Help with my next system upgrade (not a new system): Athlon 64 X2? Conroe Duo? ... ANTant@zimage.com Intel 159 11-17-2006 03:08 PM
New System Gaming Problems Bill V Asus 2 03-29-2006 02:54 AM
New IC7-Max3 System Problems matt Abit 15 03-02-2004 03:15 PM
Renegade Video Problems with new system Johnny B Asus 1 10-30-2003 12:47 AM