Re: NIH and Corporate Structure

Paul Sture

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 20:06:45 -0700, In a very dark China Blue, China Blue
condition. wrote:

> You can deduce Apple's development organisation from their intense
> Not-Invented-Here syndrome, applied within each development team.
>
> There are about 42 different image types, some C only, some Objective-C
> only. Each team has its own unique image type which does just a few of
> all things you would like to do with an image. That means to do a
> variety of things (currently I'm trying to merge two files with
> CoreImage and write it out as a PDF), you're constantly converting from
> one project team's format to another team's format.
>
> This has been a wondrous feature of Apple since about the System 4 days
> (whichever release first supported external colour monitors).

My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
example programs available on the Apple development site weren't actually
written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional C too)
instead.

--
Paul Sture

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
> example programs available on the Apple development site weren't actually
> written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional C too)
> instead.

i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c samples
as well as c++.

Paul Sture

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:53:52 -0400, nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
>> example programs available on the Apple development site weren't
>> actually written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional
>> C too) instead.

> i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c samples
> as well as c++.

This was some years ago. 2006?

--

wrote:

> >> My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
> >> example programs available on the Apple development site weren't
> >> actually written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional
> >> C too) instead.

> > i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c samples
> > as well as c++.

> This was some years ago. 2006?

there should have been a *lot* of objective-c & cocoa samples going
back well before that.

Paul Sture

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:03:34 -0700, nospam wrote:

>> > i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c
>> > samples as well as c++.

>> This was some years ago. 2006?

> there should have been a *lot* of objective-c & cocoa samples going back
> well before that.

It must just have been the examples I picked on. I know that at one
point I was looking at how to write large files using Objective-C and
came up short of examples for that.

--

wrote:

> It must just have been the examples I picked on. I know that at one
> point I was looking at how to write large files using Objective-C and
> came up short of examples for that.

you're better off with c++ streams for that.

Paul Sture

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:48:55 -0700, nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> It must just have been the examples I picked on. I know that at one
>> point I was looking at how to write large files using Objective-C and
>> came up short of examples for that.

> you're better off with c++ streams for that.

That was my conclusion too. Thanks for the confirmation.

--
Paul Sture