Re: Olimex-iMX233-OLinuXino-Maxi Linux SBC

Frank Buss

Don McKenzie wrote:

> 16-June-2012
> SINGLE BOARD LINUX COMPUTER with i.MX233 ARM926J @454Mhz
>
> Now available:
> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olime...xino-maxi.html
> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

Why should someone buy this?

Raspberry Pi:

- 256 MB RAM
- HDMI output
- 700 MHz CPU clock
- integrated GPU
- $25

OLINUXINO:

- 64 MB RAM
- no HDMI
- 454 MHz CPU clock
- no GPU (just some basic acceleration, like alpha blending)
- $68.47

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

hamilton

On 6/16/2012 3:03 AM, Frank Buss wrote:
> Don McKenzie wrote:
>>
>> 16-June-2012
>> SINGLE BOARD LINUX COMPUTER with i.MX233 ARM926J @454Mhz

> Why should someone buy this?
>
> Raspberry Pi:

When can someone buy this ??

> - 256 MB RAM
> - HDMI output
> - 700 MHz CPU clock
> - integrated GPU
> - $25

Price means nothing if you can not buy it !!

Still waiting.

hamilton

Frank Buss

hamilton wrote:

> Price means nothing if you can not buy it !!

Current price on eBay is about EUR 50 :-)

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

Krzysztof Kajstura

W dniu 2012-06-16 11:03, Frank Buss pisze:
> Don McKenzie wrote:
>>
>> 16-June-2012
>> SINGLE BOARD LINUX COMPUTER with i.MX233 ARM926J @454Mhz
>>
>> Now available:
>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olime...xino-maxi.html
>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

> Why should someone buy this?

Although Raspberry Pi and OLinuXino are similar projects, there are different goals:
https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/blob/master/README

BTW. We have Olimex-iMX233-OLinuXino-Maxi in stock since 11 June

Regards
Krzysztof

--
KRISTECH
www.kristech.eu

Nico Coesel

Frank Buss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don McKenzie wrote:
>>
>> 16-June-2012
>> SINGLE BOARD LINUX COMPUTER with i.MX233 ARM926J @454Mhz
>>
>> Now available:
>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olime...xino-maxi.html
>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

>Why should someone buy this?
>
>Raspberry Pi:
>
>- 256 MB RAM
>- HDMI output
>- 700 MHz CPU clock
>- integrated GPU
>- $25

Its still a toy!

>OLINUXINO:
>
>- 64 MB RAM
>- no HDMI
>- 454 MHz CPU clock
>- no GPU (just some basic acceleration, like alpha blending)
>- $68.47

This is something you could mount in a case. The specs ain't great but
it will run a buildroot/busybox based Linux system just fine.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Frank Buss

Nico Coesel wrote:
> Frank Buss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Don McKenzie wrote:
>>>
>>> 16-June-2012
>>> SINGLE BOARD LINUX COMPUTER with i.MX233 ARM926J @454Mhz
>>>
>>> Now available:
>>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olime...xino-maxi.html
>>> http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

>> Why should someone buy this?
>>
>> Raspberry Pi:
>>
>> - 256 MB RAM
>> - HDMI output
>> - 700 MHz CPU clock
>> - integrated GPU
>> - $25

> Its still a toy!

It is a full computer with ethernet, USB, advanced video capabilites
etc. The drivers and the Linux kernel might be not as stable at the
moment, but it's definitely more than a toy.

>> OLINUXINO:
>>
>> - 64 MB RAM
>> - no HDMI
>> - 454 MHz CPU clock
>> - no GPU (just some basic acceleration, like alpha blending)
>> - $68.47

> This is something you could mount in a case.

It is not as easy as with mounting holes or slots, but that's just a
matter of the right case:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/859

> The specs ain't great but
> it will run a buildroot/busybox based Linux system just fine.

But why limiting yourself to busybox, if you can have a full featured
Linux system for a lower price? It is so much easier to just do an
"apt-get install foobar" and then just writing some Python or bash code
to use foobar, compared to trying to compile a program with all the
required libraries on a small busybox based platform.

But the advantage of the Olinuxino is that all of it, including
schematics and PCB files, are open source. And the CPU is available to
buy for your own projects, so you can build a less expensive platform,
or one with additional hardware for a project. The Broadcom CPU of the
Raspberry Pi is not available for hobbyists or small companies, and all
the GPU stuff (and some other details of the CPU) is not available for
mere mortals.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

Don McKenzie

On 17-Jun-12 7:46 AM, Frank Buss wrote:
> Nico Coesel wrote:

> It is not as easy as with mounting holes or slots, but that's just a
> matter of the right case:
>
> http://www.adafruit.com/products/859

well that is the nicest case I have seen for the RPi to date.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $30 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-m...-computer.html
Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.

Frank Buss

Frank Buss wrote:

> and all
> the GPU stuff (and some other details of the CPU) is not available for
> mere mortals.

Of course, the Raspberry Pi foundation provides an OpenGl ES 2.0
implementation, which means you can develop your own nice 3D
application, just hackers like me want to know and play with the
low-level details of the GPU :-)

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

Nico Coesel

Frank Buss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nico Coesel wrote:
>> Frank Buss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Why should someone buy this?
>>>
>>> Raspberry Pi:
>>>
>>> - 256 MB RAM
>>> - HDMI output
>>> - 700 MHz CPU clock
>>> - integrated GPU
>>> - $25

>> Its still a toy!

>It is a full computer with ethernet, USB, advanced video capabilites
>etc. The drivers and the Linux kernel might be not as stable at the
>moment, but it's definitely more than a toy.

Unstable=useless. No way to fix that because everything is proprietary
means it is useless for use in anything serious.

>>> OLINUXINO:
>>>
>>> - 64 MB RAM
>>> - no HDMI
>>> - 454 MHz CPU clock
>>> - no GPU (just some basic acceleration, like alpha blending)
>>> - $68.47

>> This is something you could mount in a case.

>It is not as easy as with mounting holes or slots, but that's just a
>matter of the right case:
>
>http://www.adafruit.com/products/859

I mean you can mount the Olinuxino in your own case because all the
connectors are on one side. You'll have a hard time including a Rpi
into your own product.

>> The specs ain't great but
>> it will run a buildroot/busybox based Linux system just fine.

>But why limiting yourself to busybox, if you can have a full featured
>Linux system for a lower price? It is so much easier to just do an
>"apt-get install foobar" and then just writing some Python or bash code
>to use foobar, compared to trying to compile a program with all the
>required libraries on a small busybox based platform.

With 256MB ram you can't run full blown Linux either. I think you can
also run a regular Linux distro on the Olinuxino but with Busybox its
just easier to create an image which only contains the software you
really need. Another advantage is that you'll have the cross
compilation tools on your system as well.

Busybox/buildroot has improved greatly over the past few years. There
are loads of programs already included so selecting the software you
want is just as easy as using a package selector. If a package is not
available you can create a new package with just a few lines of text.
In my experience 9 out of 10 pieces of software compile correct out of
the box. From the failing software 9 out of 10 only need minor
tweaking like configure options. All in all it works pretty well.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

hamilton

On 6/16/2012 11:56 AM, Frank Buss wrote:
> hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Price means nothing if you can not buy it !!

> Current price on eBay is about EUR 50 :-)

Eh-humm, and shipping to the us ??