Re: OSX users are typically stupid (witness Oxford)

Peter Köhlmann

begin virus.scr Oxford wrote:

> Peter can no longer advocate Linux (for many reasons) so he has resorted
> to childish name calling.

Well, I am not a nymshifter. That is you, Oxford.
After all, you reside in many killfiles for your stupid posts

> Yes, there was a time when Linux appeared strong, but OSX changed all
> the rules, now it's a slow fade to black for people like Peter, who try
> to prop up the inevitable.

The inevitable being what? That the toy OS OSX will gain another 0.0001%
marketshare?

> The unix gold is now here:
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/
> http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/tiger/

OSX is no unix.

> On "Linus Approved" hardware:
>
> http://www.apple.com/hardware/

Yes, Linus has said very explicitly that this hardware he has will *never*
run OSX. It will run linux

Jay Maynard

Slam the troll all you want...but don't for a moment think he's
representative of all OS X users. I'm an experienced Unix admin and user,
who's been running Linux on one box or another since 0.11. My main network
server is a Gentoo Linux system.

My user desktop is OS X.

On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OSX is no unix.

Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix. I regularly compile
Unix code on it, with no changes beyond the usual BSDisms. I'm the project
manager for an open source IBM mainframe emulator
(http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules), which requires very few changes between
Linux and OS X, mainly removing some Linux-specific SCSI tape support.

Ignore the idiots, and take an honest look at OS X. You'll be surprised,
certainly, and impressed, most likely.

Peter Köhlmann

begin virus.scr Jay Maynard wrote:

> Slam the troll all you want...but don't for a moment think he's
> representative of all OS X users.

They may not be, but I for my part prefer to judge people on the standard
they put onto their own proponants. And I have not noted a single instance
where "sane" Mac users (if those exist at all) have apologized for the
actions of their resident retards (Oxford and TravelinMan are prime
examples)

> I'm an experienced Unix admin and user,
> who's been running Linux on one box or another since 0.11. My main network
> server is a Gentoo Linux system.

Good for you

> My user desktop is OS X.

Fine. I prefer less limited systems

> On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> OSX is no unix.

> Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix.

It is most certainly *not* Unix. It is a unix-like system, like BSD and
linux, but it is not unix

> I regularly compile Unix code on it, with no changes beyond the usual
> BSDisms.

Big deal.

> I'm the project
> manager for an open source IBM mainframe emulator
> (http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules), which requires very few changes between
> Linux and OS X, mainly removing some Linux-specific SCSI tape support.

And this matters how? It is still not an approved "Unix"

> Ignore the idiots, and take an honest look at OS X. You'll be surprised,
> certainly, and impressed, most likely.

I already have taken a look at it. I am neither impressed or surprised
I prefer linux by a very big margin

And no, the idiots like Oxford or TravelinMan have little to do with that,
although they do their very best to show the Mac-users in general as a
bunch of utterly stupid, ignorant dimwits

Jim

Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I'm an experienced Unix admin and user,
> > who's been running Linux on one box or another since 0.11. My main network
> > server is a Gentoo Linux system.
> >

> Good for you
>
> > My user desktop is OS X.
> >

> Fine. I prefer less limited systems

What limits are you perceiving?

> > On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> OSX is no unix.

> > Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix.

> It is most certainly *not* Unix. It is a unix-like system, like BSD and
> linux, but it is not unix

Why does this matter? Honest question.

> > I regularly compile Unix code on it, with no changes beyond the usual
> > BSDisms.

> Big deal.

Well yes, it is a big deal. If it allows you to do the job at hand then
it's a good thing.

> > I'm the project
> > manager for an open source IBM mainframe emulator
> > (http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules), which requires very few changes between
> > Linux and OS X, mainly removing some Linux-specific SCSI tape support.
> >

> And this matters how? It is still not an approved "Unix"

To quote you, "And this matters how?"

> > Ignore the idiots, and take an honest look at OS X. You'll be surprised,
> > certainly, and impressed, most likely.

> I already have taken a look at it. I am neither impressed or surprised
> I prefer linux by a very big margin
>
> And no, the idiots like Oxford or TravelinMan have little to do with that,
> although they do their very best to show the Mac-users in general as a
> bunch of utterly stupid, ignorant dimwits

Mac-trolls are pretty much the same as Linux-trolls, Unix-trolls and
Windows-trolls.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
"We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal

TheLetterK

Jay Maynard wrote:
> Slam the troll all you want...but don't for a moment think he's
> representative of all OS X users. I'm an experienced Unix admin and user,
> who's been running Linux on one box or another since 0.11. My main network
> server is a Gentoo Linux system.
>
> My user desktop is OS X.
>
> On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>OSX is no unix.

> Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix.

The Open Group disagrees with you. Considering they have final say-so
about what is and is not Unix, I would generally take their opinion over
yours. OS X is a unix-like operating system, just like normal
BSDs--regardless of it's history or codebase or close relation to AT&T Unix.

On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> begin virus.scr Jay Maynard wrote:
>> Slam the troll all you want...but don't for a moment think he's
>> representative of all OS X users.

> They may not be, but I for my part prefer to judge people on the standard
> they put onto their own proponants.

Careful...the Linux camp has plenty of losers as bad as Oxford. Do you
really want to go there?

> And I have not noted a single instance where "sane" Mac users (if those
> exist at all) have apologized for the actions of their resident retards
> (Oxford and TravelinMan are prime examples)

How about simply disowning them? Oxford certainly does not speak for me.

You should also consider an axiom put forth by Larry Niven: "Ideas are not
responsible for those who hold them. There is no idea so good that you
cannot find a fool who supports it."

>> My user desktop is OS X.

> Fine. I prefer less limited systems

Just what is limited about OS X? I have not found any limits beyond the
differences between BSD and Linux/SysV.

>> On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> OSX is no unix.

>> Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix.

> It is most certainly *not* Unix. It is a unix-like system, like BSD and
> linux, but it is not unix

Okkay, so it doesn't have the X/Open Magic Seal of Approval. Big fat hairy
deal. The important measure is that one can sit down in front of the box and
treat it like Unix, with no more differences than commonly found between
different Unix variants. OS X passes this test easily.

Besides, a Linux bigot carping that OS X doesn't have the Magic Seal of
Approval is a definite case of the pot calling the kettle black.

>> I regularly compile Unix code on it, with no changes beyond the usual
>> BSDisms.

> Big deal.

Yes, it is, actually. That's an important part of being Unix.

>> I'm the project
>> manager for an open source IBM mainframe emulator
>> (http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules), which requires very few changes between
>> Linux and OS X, mainly removing some Linux-specific SCSI tape support.

> And this matters how? It is still not an approved "Unix"

Neither is Linux. Neither are any of the freely available BSDs. Exactly what
difference does this make to the average user or sysadmin?

>> Ignore the idiots, and take an honest look at OS X. You'll be surprised,
>> certainly, and impressed, most likely.

> I already have taken a look at it. I am neither impressed or surprised
> I prefer linux by a very big margin

Why?
It's certainly not because it's an 'approved "Unix"'.

> And no, the idiots like Oxford or TravelinMan have little to do with that,
> although they do their very best to show the Mac-users in general as a
> bunch of utterly stupid, ignorant dimwits

Careful, Mr. Pot.

Jay Maynard

On 2005-04-03, TheLetterK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>OSX is no unix.

>> Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix.

> The Open Group disagrees with you. Considering they have final say-so
> about what is and is not Unix, I would generally take their opinion over
> yours. OS X is a unix-like operating system, just like normal
> BSDs--regardless of it's history or codebase or close relation to AT&T Unix.

Fine. Neither is Linux. For a Linux bigot (not you, but the other bozo I've
been replying to) to raise this objection os downright silly.

Besides, what matters is that one can build Unix software on it and run it
with no more difficulty, or use the command line utilities, with no more
difficulty than moving between any pair of Unixes, whether or not they've
gotten the Open Group's Magic Seal of Approval. OS X and Linux both pass
this test easily.

Peter Köhlmann

begin virus.scr Jay Maynard wrote:

> On 2005-04-03, Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> begin virus.scr Jay Maynard wrote:
>>> Slam the troll all you want...but don't for a moment think he's
>>> representative of all OS X users.

>> They may not be, but I for my part prefer to judge people on the standard
>> they put onto their own proponants.

> Careful...the Linux camp has plenty of losers as bad as Oxford. Do you
> really want to go there?

Well, even if that were true, I simply see not very much posts from linux
users in mac-groups. Posts from Mac-cretins in linux groups (and not just
advocacy, but general groups as well) are there in abundance.
I'd say this talks volumes abbout the maturity of posters, and mac users
seem to be very immature in comparison

>> And I have not noted a single instance where "sane" Mac users (if those
>> exist at all) have apologized for the actions of their resident retards
>> (Oxford and TravelinMan are prime examples)

> How about simply disowning them? Oxford certainly does not speak for me.

I don't see any of that either. And someone who does say nothing silently
agrees with this idiocy. It is as simple as that.
I have *often* openly declared my disagreement with other linux posters, and
others have done this as well. It is actually quite common
I have never seen any disagreeing post from Mac users regarding your
resident retards. Not once. So I have to conclude you agree with their
actions

> You should also consider an axiom put forth by Larry Niven: "Ideas are not
> responsible for those who hold them. There is no idea so good that you
> cannot find a fool who supports it."
>
>>> My user desktop is OS X.

>> Fine. I prefer less limited systems

> Just what is limited about OS X? I have not found any limits beyond the
> differences between BSD and Linux/SysV.

Not to use X as windowing system is by far the worst idea apple could come
up with. It is totally braindead
And no, don't even start to argue that you can add X to OSX
Because then you break evewn more the so often mentioned argument about
"integration" and "ease of use" and what not what the apple should have

And in reality does not, not more than windos or linux has

>>> Wrong. It's not Linux, but it most certainly is Unix.

>> It is most certainly *not* Unix. It is a unix-like system, like BSD and
>> linux, but it is not unix

> Okkay, so it doesn't have the X/Open Magic Seal of Approval. Big fat hairy
> deal.

It is a big deal. Because the apple retards always argue that OSX is the
biggest selling Unix there is. This is a bald lie. OSX is not Unix, no
matter how often liars like OxRetard or TravelinIdiot bring it forward

> The important measure is that one can sit down in front of the box
> and treat it like Unix, with no more differences than commonly found
> between different Unix variants. OS X passes this test easily.
>
> Besides, a Linux bigot carping that OS X doesn't have the Magic Seal of
> Approval is a definite case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Well, you can't read, obviously. Above I stated that OSX is a unix-like
system, like linux and BSD

>>> I regularly compile Unix code on it, with no changes beyond the usual
>>> BSDisms.

>> Big deal.

> Yes, it is, actually. That's an important part of being Unix.

OSX is not Unix. No matter how good you can use unix-apps
Linux can as well, and BSD can also. This is certainly not a point where
OSDX has *any* advantage

>>> I'm the project
>>> manager for an open source IBM mainframe emulator
>>> (http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules), which requires very few changes
>>> between Linux and OS X, mainly removing some Linux-specific SCSI tape
>>> support.

>> And this matters how? It is still not an approved "Unix"

> Neither is Linux. Neither are any of the freely available BSDs. Exactly
> what difference does this make to the average user or sysadmin?

It does not. It is just worthj mentioning regarding the often repeated
claims of OxReatrd and TravelinIdiot
They have been corrected dozens of times, yet they still repeat this
bullshit. It really seems it takes an especially dimwitted retard to use
OSX. Do you guys have to practice being that dumb, or does it come natural?

>>> Ignore the idiots, and take an honest look at OS X. You'll be surprised,
>>> certainly, and impressed, most likely.

>> I already have taken a look at it. I am neither impressed or surprised
>> I prefer linux by a very big margin

> Why?
> It's certainly not because it's an 'approved "Unix"'.

No. Because it is by far the most flexible system.

>> And no, the idiots like Oxford or TravelinMan have little to do with
>> that, although they do their very best to show the Mac-users in general
>> as a bunch of utterly stupid, ignorant dimwits

> Careful, Mr. Pot.

Well, I don't start these incredibly stupid articles in a group having
nothing to do with it. It takes idiots like Oxford for this. It seems Mac
users have more than their fair share of cretins among them

Jim

Peter Köhlmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Okkay, so it doesn't have the X/Open Magic Seal of Approval. Big fat hairy
> > deal.

> It is a big deal. Because the apple retards always argue that OSX is the
> biggest selling Unix there is. This is a bald lie. OSX is not Unix, no
> matter how often liars like OxRetard or TravelinIdiot bring it forward

You are the Rev. Don Kool and I claim my killfile.

It doesn't matter what it "is" or "isn't". What matters it what it does.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
"We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal
laws of right and wrong break down; beyond those metaphysical
event horizons there exist ... special circumstances" - Use Of Weapons

Warren Oates

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:37:14 GMT
Jay Maynard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:
:Besides, what matters is that one can build Unix software on it and run it
:with no more difficulty, or use the command line utilities, with no more
:difficulty than moving between any pair of Unixes, whether or not they've
:gotten the Open Group's Magic Seal of Approval. OS X and Linux both pass
:this test easily.
:

The problem with OS X is not that it' NOT a Unix system, which it
certainly is. The problem is that Apple have produced a mangled user
interface in an attempt to hide some of the complexities of the Unix
system from the customer.

The OS X "firewall" is an instance of this. It's not a firewall at
all, really, but the customer has been assured by Apple that OS X
contains all the security and power of Unix, and turns this thing on
and it really protects almost nothing.

It's possible to build a real firewall with OS X's tools, from the
command line, just like in any BSD system, but not with the "front end"
that Apple ships with the system.

--
Looks like more of Texas to Me