Re: OT: best firewall for clueless pc user

Ben Myers

On 11/20/2010 4:46 PM, RnR wrote:
> I was over one of my in laws again cleaning up their mistakes...
> mostly pop ups they caused while surfing the net. They're running xp
> on a dell 8400 P4 3gig / 1gb ram. I was wondering for the people who
> really don't have a clue how to handle a pop up either from the net or
> from the firewall / antivirus programs, what is the best firewall to
> use. I decided for now to let them run the built in firewall in xp
> (sp3) because I figured it would have the least popups.
>
> Also, altho I hate windows updates (usu I turn off), I decided to turn
> it on, on their pc because I honestly don't think they know what to do
> if I turn it off and then they get the no updating popup. I looked
> around for a short while thinking I could prevent the popup when it
> would occur but couldn't find it. Is there a way to kill the popup?
> Any other advice for the clueless?

The Windows Firewall is best for the clueless. It is equally clueless
about software that has gotten some sort of drive-by install and tries
to call home. Supposedly blocks the incoming varmints.

ZoneAlarm is free and better than the Windows Firewall, but the clueless
will be driven to distraction by its popups whenever a new version of a
program tries to access the internet.

Most other firewalls better than Windows own operate on a similar
principle. Norton's and McAfee's firewalls pop up when they detect a
potential problem.

Or, hey, upgrade them to Vista and they will give up computers forever.
Vista is real nagware, and Windows 7 carries forward some of the
nagging... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

On 11/20/2010 6:49 PM, RnR wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:11:47 -0500, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/20/2010 4:46 PM, RnR wrote:
>>> I was over one of my in laws again cleaning up their mistakes...
>>> mostly pop ups they caused while surfing the net. They're running xp
>>> on a dell 8400 P4 3gig / 1gb ram. I was wondering for the people who
>>> really don't have a clue how to handle a pop up either from the net or
>>> from the firewall / antivirus programs, what is the best firewall to
>>> use. I decided for now to let them run the built in firewall in xp
>>> (sp3) because I figured it would have the least popups.
>>>
>>> Also, altho I hate windows updates (usu I turn off), I decided to turn
>>> it on, on their pc because I honestly don't think they know what to do
>>> if I turn it off and then they get the no updating popup. I looked
>>> around for a short while thinking I could prevent the popup when it
>>> would occur but couldn't find it. Is there a way to kill the popup?
>>> Any other advice for the clueless?

>> The Windows Firewall is best for the clueless. It is equally clueless
>> about software that has gotten some sort of drive-by install and tries
>> to call home. Supposedly blocks the incoming varmints.
>>
>> ZoneAlarm is free and better than the Windows Firewall, but the clueless
>> will be driven to distraction by its popups whenever a new version of a
>> program tries to access the internet.
>>
>> Most other firewalls better than Windows own operate on a similar
>> principle. Norton's and McAfee's firewalls pop up when they detect a
>> potential problem.
>>
>> Or, hey, upgrade them to Vista and they will give up computers forever.
>> Vista is real nagware, and Windows 7 carries forward some of the
>> nagging... Ben Myers

> I figured the windows firewall was best for them. I know almost all
> 3rd party will be better but it's the popups I worry about. They
> won't have a clue and worst even the best firewall won't work well if
> they okay the internet pop up.... kinda like opening up the door and
> letting a stranger in<g>. That's what they told me the husband did
> as he was suckered into these free "let me tell you what errors you
> have" popups only then to be told you have to pay. I told him when
> in doubt X out and better, just say no. No doubt I will be back
> again to clean it once again. The good thing is my work isn't
> completely free as we barter services.... pc vs pest control and I
> just found a stray pedigree dog so I will need some flea control from
> now on. At least that kinda work for me usually is easy except for 2
> or 3 years ago when another inlaw had real nasties that wasn't as easy
> to clean. Thank you Ben for the advice.

Maybe give them a computer with Ubuntu or Fedora installed (with Gnome
UI), along with OpenOffice plus Thunderbird for email and Firefox for
browsing the web? Certainly fewer viruses, and not much different than
Windows to learn... Ben

Ben Myers

On 11/20/2010 10:11 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Ben Myers" suggested:
>>
>> Maybe give them a computer with Ubuntu or Fedora installed (with Gnome UI), along with OpenOffice plus Thunderbird for
>> email and Firefox for browsing the web? Certainly fewer viruses, and not much different than Windows to learn... Ben

> But Ubuntu has lots of popups: Quarterly upgrades for the OS, updates
> for the built-in apps and browser and Adobe Reader, among others. And
> they will have to learn the Update Manager. Some financial websites don't
> work with Firefox, so you'll have to install Opera and/or Chrome - more
> updates. And fewer knowledgeable people to help them.
>
> *TimDaniels*

I said it in jest, but helping his relatives along with Ubuntu would
expand his knowledge... Ben

totfit

wrote:

>On 11/20/2010 4:46 PM, RnR wrote:

>Or, hey, upgrade them to Vista and they will give up computers forever.
> Vista is real nagware, and Windows 7 carries forward some of the
>nagging... Ben Myers

Not if you cut out the UAC nagging which can easily be done. I run
Windows 7, but Vista with the latest updates and service packs is ok.