Re: password recovery part deux

Frank

On May 14, 8:28*pm, Mark F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:34:20 -0400, Frank
>
> <frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet> wrote:
> > Son seems to have corrected problem. *Something about the bios.
> > Also wondering if CMOS battery could have been source also.

> You said the computer was 5 years old, so the battery could be dead.
>
> If I were you I would clone the system disk and then replace the
> battery if Frank Jr. thinks it could be the problem.
>
> If you have further problems you should post the model number and
> perhaps the motherboard part number.

Thanks. When I mentioned this back to GW, they said they are sending
me a battery, gratis. Should get in 5-10 days. I've been moderately
pleased with GW's response to this problem on the older machine but
did not want to use the $3 or so per minute expert service with
machine age. It fits my wife's needs and I had just put in an extr
gig memory. Funny, I can get specifics on her original purchase by
putting in computer serial number to GW but they will not recognize,
anywhere, my one year old GW. I had also added an extra 2 gigs to my
machine.

I've been buying GW's for over 15 years and putting a lot of miles on
them. Only had problems with one that GW replaced everything except
mouse and keyboard. Wish I could have got the frequent flyer miles on
that machine which made several trips back and forth to the Dakotas.

Frank Jr. meanwhile completely wiped hard drive and reinstalled bios,
XP pro along with Firefox and Open Office and all appear to be working
fine. He said just pop out old battery and install new without
leaving it out for long time. Fortunately Mom had never used full
potential of computer and main files she laments loosing were her
browser bookmarks.

Smith

Wow, $3 a minute now? It's times like this I love that my Gateway P4 that I
still use has the free lifetime phone tech support. Gateway support has
always been good to me, never given me issues with replacement warranty
parts or anything. They were even nice enough to help me free of charge on
my sister's system which was not under warranty anymore. Good people, I've
owned 7 Gateway computers and will go back for an 8th when the time comes
And, heh, yeah everyone always forgets to save the browser bookmarks before
a whipe, I've done that so many times...you just don't think about it until
too late.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Apple is Doomed part deux Lewis Apple 0 01-25-2013 12:10 AM
part by part diagram lebu sherker Intel 1 12-09-2009 07:21 PM
Newbie OSX questions - part deux Rick Apple 0 11-07-2004 01:15 AM
Wanted: HP Pavilion 8756C Recovery CD Set (HP Part# 5065-6001) The Monk HP 5 01-26-2004 10:43 PM
HP recovery disks vs. HP recovery console Bogey HP 4 08-27-2003 02:19 AM