Re: Password recovery

Ken Whiton

*-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 19:12:59 -0400,
*-* In Article (E-Mail Removed),
*-* Frank wrote
*-* About Password recovery

> Wife's 5 year old GW with XP is calling for password that it didn't
> before. She did not have a password and nothing works. I've messed
> around with it for a few hours including trying to reinstall OS -
> the GW system disk. Googling up MS fixes has not helped. Would like
> leads or suggestions. Son who may help cannot come over for 2 days.

Have you tried simply pressing the <Enter> key when it asks for a
password? A friend of mine had the same situation, and that was what
finally worked for him.

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: (E-Mail Removed)L (remove the obvious to reply)

Bob Johnson

Another way to recover a Windows password is to use a Linux Live CD.
You need access to another PC to download and burn CD.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...r/ophcrack.htm

Best Regards,
Bob Johnson

Frank

On May 10, 10:35 am, Bob Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Another way to recover a Windows password is to use a Linux Live CD.
> You need access to another PC to download and burn CD.http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...r/ophcrack.htm
>
> Best Regards,
> Bob Johnson

I thought about some of these fixes but Frank Jr. thinks that there
was something wrong with the install on this machine when we got it.
One of my other sons had hooked it up for Mom and she never used
passwords and he doesn't remember putting any in. Of late, Frank Jr.
had tried to clean up the machine, which was very slow by removing
unnecessary start up programs and I put in another gig memory. All
was working fine until a few weeks later. Frank Jr. will be here in a
couple of hours for Mother's Day and will probably try to reinstall OS
and if that fails, take machine home to tinker with.

Thanks for suggestion.

Frank