Re: Pavilion a6763w-b PC

Ben Myers

oh well wrote:
> Have just gotten this computer and as far as I know the hardware is ok
> 'cause I can't do anything with it OS wise. It has vista now and since I'm
> pirateing parts off my old computer I would like to install the Windows XP
> home SP 2 OS from the old computer on the one I've just gotten. Would there
> be any problem formatting this hard drive with the XP installation disc and
> installing XP. Additionally I would like to use the hd from the old
> computer for virtual memory.
>
> Can I do all this ok?
>
> thx.
>
> Tommy Mathis

Tommy,

The answer to your question is "probably". HP does not have any chipset
drivers for this model on its web site, so you have to chase them down
elsewhere.

The motherboard is one made special for HP by ECS. The ECS model is ECS
MCP61PM-HM.

The motherboard chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Here are the other major system chipsets for which Vista support is
provided by HP for your model:
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Driver
NVIDIA Graphics Driver
NVIDIA LAN Driver (Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

Since this motherboard is special for HP, you won't find anything about
the model on the ECS web site. My own next try would be nVidia's web
site, at this URL, for example:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_....26_11.09.html

A web site q&a forum said that the Acer Aspire E380 uses the same
motherboard, and that the drivers on the Acer web site would work.

Finally, yes, you can set up virtual memory on any drive with XP.

.... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

oh well wrote:
> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h1esnc$anc$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> oh well wrote:
>>> Have just gotten this computer and as far as I know the hardware is ok
>>> 'cause I can't do anything with it OS wise. It has vista now and since
>>> I'm pirateing parts off my old computer I would like to install the
>>> Windows XP home SP 2 OS from the old computer on the one I've just
>>> gotten. Would there be any problem formatting this hard drive with the
>>> XP installation disc and installing XP. Additionally I would like to use
>>> the hd from the old computer for virtual memory.
>>>
>>> Can I do all this ok?
>>>
>>> thx.
>>>
>>> Tommy Mathis

>> Tommy,
>>
>> The answer to your question is "probably". HP does not have any chipset
>> drivers for this model on its web site, so you have to chase them down
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> The motherboard is one made special for HP by ECS. The ECS model is ECS
>> MCP61PM-HM.
>>
>> The motherboard chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
>>
>> Here are the other major system chipsets for which Vista support is
>> provided by HP for your model:
>> NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Driver
>> NVIDIA Graphics Driver
>> NVIDIA LAN Driver (Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps)
>> Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
>>
>> Since this motherboard is special for HP, you won't find anything about
>> the model on the ECS web site. My own next try would be nVidia's web
>> site, at this URL, for example:
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_....26_11.09.html
>>
>> A web site q&a forum said that the Acer Aspire E380 uses the same
>> motherboard, and that the drivers on the Acer web site would work.
>>
>> Finally, yes, you can set up virtual memory on any drive with XP.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers

> Ben thx.
>
> A supprise or two here but now off to the chase.
>
> Tommy

One general comment. Compared to Dell and Lenovo, I would have to say
that HP has done little or nothing to promote the now-famous "downgrade"
to XP, especially for the consumer-oriented Pavilion and Presario models
where HP has been a very effective shill for Vista. Hence no XP drivers
for the a6763w-b... Ben Myers

Test Newly flash BIOS: From HP Pavilion K7M to Asus K7M marslee@hotmail.com Asus 0 11-27-2005 09:37 PM
Chipset Drivers with HP Pavilion a530n with XP SP2 Sid Joyner Asus 2 01-06-2005 04:07 AM
HP Pavilion Wildbill Asus 2 02-02-2004 12:07 PM
HP Pavilion Need New MoBo Wildbill AOpen 0 02-01-2004 08:22 PM
Pavilion 4450 4550Z BIOS blobcomputers Asus 5 12-01-2003 03:02 AM