Re: PC Restore Question

WSZsr

Boot to the Vista CD. When you get the one of the first screens, there is
an option to repair the OS. Then you will get a option menu. Don't
remember the option but it is down toward the bottom. It will restore the
system to the state it was the first time you started the system.

"MJMIII" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I was just informed by Dell support that my restore partition is corrupt.
> Let me explain. I have an XPS 630i Vista 64bit that I knowingly opened an
> infected file. I did a system restore beforehand and a system backup,
> just in case. The virus destroyed system restore so I decided to do
> Dell's PC Restore. On this system, in the restore console, I have to open
> a command prompt and type in a series of commands. I get as far as
> d:\Tools, but pcrestore isn't recognized. When I run a dir on d I see 2
> directories. One has 0 bytes and the other has 3GB. The problem is the
> 3GB is named "..", as in 2 periods.
>
> After booting back into Vista I can access the partition and the restore
> .exe is there. My question is, is there any other way to access and run
> this? Dell told me no, but after dealing with them over the last 8 years,
> I don't put much stock in a person who diagnoses from a answer sheet and
> barely speaks and understands English. This is not a knock, just a fact.
> I've been reading this group for awhile, and I've noticed a few
> knowledgeable people here.
>
> I'm a lazy basteege who doesn't feel like starting from scratch.
>
> --
>
> Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

WSZsr

If there was only an install option then you didn't select the repair option
in small type in the lower left hand corner of the screen. The install
option is one or two screens after that.

"MJMIII" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, but no dice. There's no restore option, just install.
> --
>
> Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
>

> "WSZsr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h9vm48$9nj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Boot to the Vista CD. When you get the one of the first screens, there
>> is an option to repair the OS. Then you will get a option menu. Don't
>> remember the option but it is down toward the bottom. It will restore
>> the system to the state it was the first time you started the system.
>>
>> "MJMIII" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> I was just informed by Dell support that my restore partition is
>>> corrupt. Let me explain. I have an XPS 630i Vista 64bit that I
>>> knowingly opened an infected file. I did a system restore beforehand
>>> and a system backup, just in case. The virus destroyed system restore
>>> so I decided to do Dell's PC Restore. On this system, in the restore
>>> console, I have to open a command prompt and type in a series of
>>> commands. I get as far as d:\Tools, but pcrestore isn't recognized.
>>> When I run a dir on d I see 2 directories. One has 0 bytes and the
>>> other has 3GB. The problem is the 3GB is named "..", as in 2 periods.
>>>
>>> After booting back into Vista I can access the partition and the restore
>>> .exe is there. My question is, is there any other way to access and run
>>> this? Dell told me no, but after dealing with them over the last 8
>>> years, I don't put much stock in a person who diagnoses from a answer
>>> sheet and barely speaks and understands English. This is not a knock,
>>> just a fact. I've been reading this group for awhile, and I've noticed a
>>> few knowledgeable people here.
>>>
>>> I'm a lazy basteege who doesn't feel like starting from scratch.

WTB: DELL Windows XP PRO RESTORE CD's w/sp2 or sp3 & DELL WindowsSeven Restore DVD's Network/Software Buyer Dell 0 12-24-2010 11:35 AM
Acer Travelmate restore using restore CD from different type gpranoto@gmail.com Laptops 2 12-08-2006 04:16 AM
Restore Mac Mini with Restore Disk ridergroov Apple 4 01-09-2006 02:48 PM
Restore Disk question JJO Compaq 2 02-24-2005 09:17 PM
Re: Question about using Quick Restore discs Miss Jo Anne CD Compaq 4 07-02-2003 04:43 PM