Re: PCI problem on a VA503+

Kyle Brant

If you are not using the comm ports, try disabling them in CMOS and
see if your problems are affected. Can you view your system's IRQ
usage in winxp? Also, are you using USB? There remains a problem
with the Award BIOS IRQ routing table implementation and the mvp3
chipset, the IRQ routing info is not properly passed to the OS, and
prevents IRQ routing from working correctly if USB is enabled, so you
can run out of interrupts or encounter IRQ usage problems. Try
disabling USB if you are not using it. To check IRQ usage, open the
computer management console and I think you can find IRQ usage under
the "hardware" section.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Zanadou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| Hi there,
|
| I've got a VA503+ , flashed with the modified APM bios (I can't
| remember the version - you all know what one it is), with a K6-2 500
| (5x100), 256meg PC-100 and WinXP Pro SP1 installed with the F6(?)
| 'Standard PC' option. I have the lastest VIA 4in1's installed.
|
| I'm having a problem with populating all my PCI slots. The 2 slots
| closest to the AGP slot are fine, but as soon as I put something -
any
| card - in to the one furthest from the AGP slot, Windows XP either
| will stop at a black screen, after the logo screen, or will just
reset
| after the logo screen while booting.
|
| I've trued working all the options in the PCI setup in the bios; PnP
| OS on and off, Reset devices, all legacy, all PnP etc. It all seems
| be the same.
|
| It would kind of be nice to have all the slots, I have Sound Card,
NIC
| and SCSI card I would like to use at once. =) Funny thing is, it all
| worked fine in WinME that I used to use, with the same BIOS version
| and options...
|
| Any advice or suggestions?
| TIA.
|
| --->Zanadou

Zanadou

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:31:55 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If you are not using the comm ports, try disabling them in CMOS and
>see if your problems are affected. Can you view your system's IRQ
>usage in winxp? Also, are you using USB? There remains a problem
>with the Award BIOS IRQ routing table implementation and the mvp3
>chipset, the IRQ routing info is not properly passed to the OS, and
>prevents IRQ routing from working correctly if USB is enabled, so you
>can run out of interrupts or encounter IRQ usage problems. Try
>disabling USB if you are not using it. To check IRQ usage, open the
>computer management console and I think you can find IRQ usage under
>the "hardware" section.

Thanks, I've disabled USB but I'm stll having the same problem...

Thanks for your advice anyway.