Re: Problem with MS Office 2003 on ThinkPad t43

John Navas

[Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:09:16 -0500, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed) merica>:

>After cratering my system and then recovering/restoring it, Office no longer
>operates. It gives me an error message that it is no installed "for this
>user." I am guessing that when I deleted the "Customer" userID I had and
>started using another one with my name on it, I lost access to WinWord, etc.
>I can locate the individual apps in the Programs folder, but they tell me to
>run Setup, which I don't think I can do because I haven't been able to get
>the original disks from the seller (not even for the OS, which came with
>it's own COA and which Microsoft recognizes as a legitimate copy of XP Pro.)
>
>If anyone can help me get Office back, I would be most appreciative.

Check the hard disk for the Office install files. If they aren't there,
then you'll need replacement Office CDs, which you should be able to get
from Microsoft if you have a valid Certificate of Authenticity.
Otherwise you'll have to buy a new copy of Office. And hopefully learn
to back up your computer in the future.

--
Best regards, You are cordially invited to participate in the
John official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

John Navas

[Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:38:08 -0500, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed) merica>:

>"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> Check the hard disk for the Office install files. If they aren't there,
>> then you'll need replacement Office CDs, which you should be able to get
>> from Microsoft if you have a valid Certificate of Authenticity.
>> Otherwise you'll have to buy a new copy of Office. And hopefully learn
>> to back up your computer in the future.

>Thanks for the input. With the Office install files, what would they maybe
>look like? Any ideas as to what I'm looking for?

Look for a root directory folder with OFFICE or MSOFFICE in the name,
with contents like:
FILES <DIR>
MSDE2000 <DIR>
INSTMSI.EXE
INSTMSIW.EXE
OWC10.MSI
PROPLUS.MSI
README.HTM <- Identifies the version Office
SETUP.EXE

Or search the hard disk for README.* files with "Microsoft Office" in
the contents.

>And, BTW, I did back up
>my computer. Those restored files are what I am working with.
>Unfortunately I used the Accessories/System Tools/Backup utility to do the
>backup, and it apparently doesn't catch *everything*. Skips open files, at
>the very least...

For future reference, ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery
<http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvantagetech/rescuerecovery.html>,
included/free with your T43, is far superior to Windows Backup, able to
properly and completely restore a system.

--
Best regards, You are cordially invited to participate in the
John official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

DCA

Dave wrote:
> THANK YOU, John
>
> "John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:38:08 -0500, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> <(E-Mail Removed) merica>:
>>
>>> "John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for the input. With the Office install files, what would they
>>> maybe
>>> look like? Any ideas as to what I'm looking for?

>> Look for a root directory folder with OFFICE or MSOFFICE in the name,
>> with contents like:
>> FILES <DIR>
>> MSDE2000 <DIR>
>> INSTMSI.EXE
>> INSTMSIW.EXE
>> OWC10.MSI
>> PROPLUS.MSI
>> README.HTM <- Identifies the version Office
>> SETUP.EXE
>>
>> Or search the hard disk for README.* files with "Microsoft Office" in
>> the contents.
>>
>>> And, BTW, I did back up
>>> my computer. Those restored files are what I am working with.
>>> Unfortunately I used the Accessories/System Tools/Backup utility to do the
>>> backup, and it apparently doesn't catch *everything*. Skips open files,
>>> at
>>> the very least...

>> For future reference, ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery
>> <http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvantagetech/rescuerecovery.html>,
>> included/free with your T43, is far superior to Windows Backup, able to
>> properly and completely restore a system.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, You are cordially invited to participate in the
>> John official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

> I'll check this out. Hopefully I'll be able to find it.
>
> Much appreciated...
>
> Dave

Download a utility called magic jelly bean keyfinder v2 or above
It will search and disclose your windows and office 'Keys'
You then borrow a copy of Office 2003 and reinstall (if necessary using
the key)