Re: Radeon HD 5970 2GB - the world's fastest graphics card is reviewed

Benjamin Gawert

* William:
[HD 5970]

> The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power for.
> Their are no games that can use this level of power. The only people who
> would benefit from this are CAD/CAM and Graphics Processing professions.

Certainly not. CAD/CAM doesn't require such a graphics card, most
midrange and often even entry level graphics cards are just fine, and
none of these programs benefit from XFire/SLI.

Additionally, CAD/CAM users and "Graphics Processing professions" want
graphics cards that support features needed for their programs like AA
lines (which the Radeons don't) are certified for their programs and
therefore couldn't care less about gaming cards like the Radeon HD5970.

These users usually buy FireGLs and Quadros for a reason.

> This stuff is going no where until the Gaming industry pulls its head out of
> its butt and fixes things like DRM and returns to the "One Time Cost" model
> verses the "Recurring Cost" of subscription service used lately. What a
> waste of talent and money. And sales are down and we are in a recession,
> and no one likes PC's for games and all that B.S.

That's nonsense. PC games are still made and sold, and the PC gaming
market is up and alive despite the constant "PC gaming goes down the
drain" whining that regularly comes since over a decade. A midrange PC
can do a level of graphics no console can do, and for a big part of
gamers there is no alternative to PC gaming.

Cards like these will sell, and even more they will attract the sales of
smaller models.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* William:

> What about rendering and ray-tracing?

Are still mostly done by the CPU, and for the few programs that support
GPU acceleration (usually via NVIDIA CUDA) professional users use Quadro
or Tesla cards for that and not gamer cards.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* William:

> I've got one word for you - "Slashdot". Here is another "Ars Technicia" .
> They do not hold the opinion you express.

To be honest I don't give a **** what they say, as in the past most of
their "predictions" were crap anyways.

> Nor do most of the
> financial columns and pundits when discussing the future of console gaming
> and PC gaming.

Yeah, right. The same "financial columns" that not long ago told us that
there is no credit crunch or any other economy problems.

Reading fish guts is probably much more reliable than reading what all
these "experts" that failed to see the the highly visible write.

Ben

Wile E. Coyote

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> Reading fish guts is probably much more reliable than reading what all
> these "experts" that failed to see the the highly visible write.

I prefer tea leaves, less mess and far less smelly.

Benjamin Gawert

* William:

> So you're tired of cleaning up your dog's ****, and you lost money in the
> stock market.

I don't have a dog, and I don't invest in stocks.

> Got it.

I really doubt that.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* Wile E. Coyote:

> I prefer tea leaves, less mess and far less smelly.

Hmm,..tea..Earl Grey ;-_)

Benjamin