Re: raq4: is it possible to wget by tftp?

DoN. Nichols

On 2009-08-03, tg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> my question pertains specifically to the sun cobalt raq4 running Cobalt
> Linux (from 960-RAQ4S101AU.iso).

It is not hardware dependent. Any unix or linux should do it
the same way. You are not even asking about Sun's Solaris version of
unix in the software world.

> I know how to download a file to the raq
> from the internet using the telnet command:
> wget http://blah-de-blah...

That is not a "telnet" command. It is a "wget" command, which
invokes the ftp or the http protocol depending on the configuration of
the server. It does not (apparently) support tftp.

> but the file I want is on a computer on the local LAN (and not from the
> internet). The file in question is a pkg file on a windows PC running a
> TFTP server. The TFTP server is properly configured to give the file to
> whoever asks for it.
> Is there a command that will wget it?

Why wget -- why for normal ftp as well, other than the
convenience if someone has provided a URL pointing to it, instead of a
server name and a path to the file as separate items.

You should have an ftp command, and a tftp command in a linux,
just as you do in Sun's Solaris and in the BSD flavors. (I just checked
OpenBSD to be sure that tftp was present.)

Try "man tftp" to find out how to use it.

Depending on whether it is a binary (e.g. an executable or an
image) or a text file, you may need to start out with the commands
"binary" or "ascii" to turn off and on end-of-line conversion at each
end.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Rick Jones

DoN. Nichols <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You should have an ftp command, and a tftp command in a linux,

Might that depend on how "minimalist" the default install is for the
given Linux distro and how much else has been installed since then?

rick jones