Re: repairing compaq presario M2000 series

Postman Delivers

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:41:27 -0500, C. Pravdyna wrote:

> I have a Compaq Presario M2000 series (M2105US). It works well and I
> have had no problems with it other than that when I shut it down I am
> unable to reboot without reinstalling Windows XP using the original
> disk. When I shut down and later turn it on, I get an error message that
> says "internal boot error" (from what I remember) I have not been able
> to permanently fix the problem, so I now keep my computer on all of the
> time and avoid shutting down unless absolutely necessary. I have no
> difficulty operating the computer after reinstalling the OS, and it
> works properly until I shut down. Then I must repeat the OS installation
> over again. But unless I shut down the computer, there is no problem. It
> seems to take longer for programs to load than previously, but nothing
> major aside from the problem with shutdown.

* * *
Maybe tis only a MBR problem -

Once Windows is done starting, you need to find the I386 installation
directory, either on the installation CD, or on C:\I386 as it was on my
laptop, and install the Recovery Console by running C:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /
cmdcons.

Choose the Recovery Console option from the menu that appears. You will
get a very limited shell, where you can type 'fixmbr' to fix the MBR on
your boot drive allowing you to start the sytem.

You should now have a properly booting Windows system, unless your HD is
hosed or can not properly be set up as a boot drive...

Depending how old the system is, Compaq/HP should be able to walk you
through the procedure via live chat on a different system if you feel
unsure... Or visit your local competent computer repair shop for a hard
drive check and maybe a replacement...

JR the postman

Junior Member

This model is a early 2004 one. The one with me also gave lot of problems. But is my lucky one.

Junior Member
Location: Tennessee

Sounds to me like a bad HD. I've come across 14 in the past year with the same problem. Most however were SATA.

You have the recovery cds, so get another HD, at todays prices that's cheaper than tacking it to a tech shop.