Re: S2722 will POST but not run BIOS setup or boot.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Computer was working fine for more than a year. Had a power failure
> that lasted longer than the UPS batteries and now it won't boot.
>
> Configuration:
> Tyan S2722-400 v1.01 dual Xeon server board.
> Two 1.8GHz processors.
> AMI BIOS ver 08.00.04.
> NO cards plugged in any expansion slots.
> 4 x 256MB RAM.
> 230GB HDD on IDE port 0, set as primary, no slave on this channel.
> 40x CD-ROM on IDE port 1, set as primary, no slave on this channel.
> 3.5" 1.44MB FDD installed.
> 400W power supply.
>
> Symptoms:
> POST runs slowly, looks like you're watching it on a 2400 baud modem.
> All memory and drives are recognized correctly during POST.
> No error messages or beeps during POST.
> When POST completes, screen clears and nothing happens.
> Pressing [Del] during POST brings up "Entering setup" notice, RAM test
> finishes quickly, screen clears and nothing happens. Setup doesn't
> run.
>
> What I've tried:
> Hard drive works OK in another computer.
> Will not boot to floppy or CD.
> New RAM makes no difference.
> New power supply doesn't help.
>
> Any ideas from the gurus here?
>
> Thanks!

Strip excess hardware and retest. For example, test the RAM one stick at a time
(if the board supports operation with one stick). Disconnect the hard drive
cables from the motherboard connectors (keeping track of where to put
them back). See if the symptoms change with less hardware connected (so you
can at least get into the BIOS). Depending on how video is implemented on
the board, you might be able to try some experiments with video as well.
I keep a spare PCI video card around, for those cases where the BIOS
will use it.

If still no progress, you can try clearing the CMOS. It's best to check
the user manual, to get exact instructions. If instructions are not
available, then remove all power from the system before using any
Clear_RTC type jumpers. Some motherboards are booby-trapped, and a
diode on the board burns, if you clear the CMOS with the +5VSB
still powered up. Unplugging the computer is the advice I usually
give, to avoid an expensive accident. At least some recent
chipsets, no longer encourage the booby-trapped method. But to
be safe, it is just better to unplug the computer while fooling
around. (Same advice goes for pulling RAM. Do it with all power
removed. The RAM sockets derive some power from +5VSB. That is
how the contents are maintained while the computer is in
standby. Killing all power, means no residual power in the
sockets.)

Paul