Re: Safely remove hardware icon for 8600GT

KCB

"Sam" <none> wrote in message
news:4a31741a$0$15542$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi,
>
> After a rebuild of the HD, I noticed the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon
> in the systray for the graphics card. I used nvidia's latest drivers
> (v185.85) which I think caused the problem. A re-install didn't fix
> the problem. Anyone know how to fix this? TIA

That's not referring to your video card, it's because you have removable
drives or ports for removable devices. This includes, but is not
limited to, USB, SD, miniSD, microSD, CompactFlash, MMC, Memory Stick,
etc...

Gilmartin

I'm having the same issue- I made a post about it some 2 weeks ago. It
happened to my system when I "upgraded" to Vista SP2. I reported it to
Mickeysoft who passed the buck to Nvidia. In turn Nvidia have passed
the buck to my motherboard manufacturer- AS Rock. I have now emailed
them twice and apart from an automated acknowledgement have had no
other response from them.
I'm betting it will disappear when a patch to SP2 arrives...

Paul

Gilmartin wrote:
> I'm having the same issue- I made a post about it some 2 weeks ago. It
> happened to my system when I "upgraded" to Vista SP2. I reported it to
> Mickeysoft who passed the buck to Nvidia. In turn Nvidia have passed
> the buck to my motherboard manufacturer- AS Rock. I have now emailed
> them twice and apart from an automated acknowledgement have had no
> other response from them.
> I'm betting it will disappear when a patch to SP2 arrives...

PCI Express supports hot plug. The question would be why it is
turned on for this form factor. It would make more sense, for
something like an ExpressCard on a laptop (PCI Express x1).
Or a PCI Express device at the end of an extension cable
of some sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci_express

"Hotplugging? Depends on form factor"

This pcisig slide set, claims the standard register
set for PCI Express supports hot plug. So it has
likely always been lurking there, until some clever
driver writer wired it up to the OS :-) But some
designer has to decide what the default for the
register should be. Other possibilities exist,
if the register can be written at a later point
in time.

(See page 19)
http://www.pcisig.com/developers/mai...b6e0a0622249c3

"Hot plug registers are integral part of the PCI Express
standard configuration register set"

I don't have a copy of the specs, because they cost money.

HTH,
Paul

KCB

"Sam" <none> wrote in message
news:4a317f12$0$5437$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h0ru6f$arl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> "Sam" <none> wrote in message
>> news:4a31741a$0$15542$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After a rebuild of the HD, I noticed the "Safely Remove Hardware"
>>> icon in the systray for the graphics card. I used nvidia's latest
>>> drivers (v185.85) which I think caused the problem. A re-install
>>> didn't fix the problem. Anyone know how to fix this? TIA

>> That's not referring to your video card, it's because you have
>> removable drives or ports for removable devices. This includes, but
>> is not limited to, USB, SD, miniSD, microSD, CompactFlash, MMC,
>> Memory Stick, etc...

> I wish that were true - it specifically says "NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT".
> When I went to disconnect a USB stick, I did a "global" disconnect so
> not only did the USB stick drivers unload but the graphic drivers
> unloaded too. It's really annoying.
>
> BTW using Vista 32-bit

lol, sorry. I thought for sure you were talking about the standard
'safely remove' icon. I've never seen or heard about a graphics card
showing up there.