Re: How to send a fax with a mac

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my old powerbook had a built in modem that one could use to send faxes. Now
> with the MacBook Pro that's no longer included. If I connect my nokia-phone
> via USB-Cable it shows up as fax in the Print&Fax Dialogue in System
> preferences, but this does not seem to work. So anybody has a suggestion
> how I can get back to fax capability?

The only really reliable method of sending a fax these days is to buy an
Apple USB modem and connect it to a POTS (regular telephone) line.

Everything else is less reliable.

A USB to serial adaptor and a modem on a POTS line works, but the ability
to function properly depends upon the modem and the adaptor. Some work as
well as the Apple, some work better, some don't work at all.

Fax over a GSM phone is something that may work or may not, it depends
upon your phone, your network, your service plan, and a lot of other
factors I can't even guess at. There are GSM fax machines, but they don't
quite work the same way as a phone being used as a serial port.

Fax over VoIP lines is something that rarely works, but some vendors sell
fax lines as part of their VoIP service. They are set up differently than
a voice line and depend upon the quality of your Internet connection far
more than a voice call.

In some places there are web to fax services.

I think the world is moving to emailing a PDF file, but has a long way to
go before it gets there. In the meantime a competing simpler technology
will probably pop up.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel (E-Mail Removed) N3OWJ/4X1GM