Re: How to simulate the Windows Keys on a Thinkpad X41?

John Navas

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:50:20 -0400, Juan I. Cahis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>How to simulate the Windows Keys on a Thinkpad X41?
>Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Fair enough, but I don't understand what you're asking.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

John Navas

Ahhh...

The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
together to accomplish the same thing.
-or-
The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
choice (right Alt key by default).
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185>

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:15:49 -0400, Juan I. Cahis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>In the keyboard of my Thinkpad, I don't see both Windows keys.
>
>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:50:20 -0400, Juan I. Cahis
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>>How to simulate the Windows Keys on a Thinkpad X41?
>>>Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

>>Fair enough, but I don't understand what you're asking.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

jw

John Navas wrote:
> Ahhh...
>
> The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
> together to accomplish the same thing.
> -or-
> The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
> choice (right Alt key by default).
> <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185>

Ctrl+Esc only gets you the start menu. If you want to use the Windows
shortcut keys that won't work.

I don't use a lot of the shortcuts, but Windows+F and Windows+D get a
fair amount of use on my machine.

I also found a utility that will let you re-map the 'Thinkpad' key. I
tried to make it be the Windows key but it worked just like Ctrl+Esc.
You couldn't add the second key for a shortcut. Too bad, as the
Thinkpad key would have been a bit handier than the Scrlk key that I now
use.

John

John Navas

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:24:57 -0600, jw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<Y1gwg.4199$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>John Navas wrote:
>> Ahhh...
>>
>> The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
>> together to accomplish the same thing.
>> -or-
>> The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
>> choice (right Alt key by default).
>> <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185>
>>

>Ctrl+Esc only gets you the start menu. If you want to use the Windows
>shortcut keys that won't work.
>
>I don't use a lot of the shortcuts, but Windows+F and Windows+D get a
>fair amount of use on my machine.
>
>I also found a utility that will let you re-map the 'Thinkpad' key. I
>tried to make it be the Windows key but it worked just like Ctrl+Esc.
>You couldn't add the second key for a shortcut. Too bad, as the
>Thinkpad key would have been a bit handier than the Scrlk key that I now
>use.

The right Alt key assigned as the Windows key by the ThinkPad Keyboard
Customizer works fine with such double keys as Windows+F and Windows+D.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Cleveland_Tech

"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Dear John, where is the Thinkpad Keyboard Customizer in my X41
TabletPC?

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:24:57 -0600, jw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><Y1gwg.4199$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>John Navas wrote:
>>> Ahhh...
>>>
>>> The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
>>> together to accomplish the same thing.
>>> -or-
>>> The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
>>> choice (right Alt key by default).

<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...yle=lenovo&lnd
ocid=MIGR-44185>

>>Ctrl+Esc only gets you the start menu. If you want to use the Windows
>>shortcut keys that won't work.
>>
>>I don't use a lot of the shortcuts, but Windows+F and Windows+D get a
>>fair amount of use on my machine.
>>
>>I also found a utility that will let you re-map the 'Thinkpad' key. I
>>tried to make it be the Windows key but it worked just like Ctrl+Esc.
>>You couldn't add the second key for a shortcut. Too bad, as the
>>Thinkpad key would have been a bit handier than the Scrlk key that I now
>>use.

>The right Alt key assigned as the Windows key by the ThinkPad Keyboard
>Customizer works fine with such double keys as Windows+F and Windows+D.

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

It doesn't appear to be on the IBM site (easily found that is) but it can be
downloaded from numerous other web sites, such as this one:
http://www.schlackman.org/programs/thinkpad.html

Hope this helps.

John Navas

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 01:14:45 GMT, "Cleveland_Tech"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<9aVwg.55417$(E-Mail Removed)> :

>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...yle=lenovo&lnd
>ocid=MIGR-44185>

>It doesn't appear to be on the IBM site (easily found that is) ...

It appears on the IBM/Lenovo site at the link I posted earlier, as
quoted above. Here's a shorter form:
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-44185>

>... but it can be
>downloaded from numerous other web sites ...

It's a bad idea in general to download and install software from unknown
web site due to the risk of infection with viruses, trojans, and/or
spyware.

--
Best regards,
John Navas