Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Re: How smooth is your AMD Athlon 2200+ with a GeForce4 Ti4200?

 
 
Bigguy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Try with no AF or AA.... should run mighty smooth.

Also try with a fixed size swap file and then defrag....

AF + AA enabled is a major strain on the graphics card - Radeon Pro is a bit
better with full AA?

Guy
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello. I am wondering if something is wrong with my AMD Athlon 2200+
> system (I don't overclock) when gaming with the newest games. You can
> see my primary/gaming system specifications at:
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ... I am
> using the latest updates for all my drivers, OS, etc.
>
> In NVIDIA driver properties, I like to set High Quality (graphics),
> Anisotropic to 8X and AA to 2X (sometimes disabled because of BF1942's
> poor fonts). However, my newer games are not very smooth. Sometimes it
> is sluggish (not too choppy) in C&C: Generals and BF1942. I use
> 1024x768 resolutions in them. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy
> Territory (in Red Hat Linux 7.2 with compiled Kernel 2.4.20) uses
> 1152x864 resolution. Even with nothing running in the background for
> both operating systems. Older games like Q3A and their mods are
> smooth, but then they are old games.
>
> What is the bottleneck? I don't really want to upgrade my CPU again so
> soon. I only had it since October 2002. Video card is a maybe, but I
> wonder if upgrading it to a GeForce4 Ti4600 (I heard FX aren't great
> and ATI has poor Linux driver support) will make a big difference. I
> also had the video card since October 2002.
>
> What do you think? Thank you in advance.
>>> o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)NT

> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> ( )



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PRIVATE1964
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2003, 03:23 PM
I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I can run
the game settings maxed out at 1024x768, 2XAA, 4XAF, but there might be a
couple of places where the framerate might dip below 42fps. I want the graphics
to be the best they can, with a good framerate. To me that is 42fps or higher.
Also the visual difference between 8XAF and 4XAF is slight, but the fps hit is
high. I tested this with screenshots from Wolf3D. Going to a newer FX card
might help with higher AA and AF settings, as someone mentioned but the
increase in framerate won't be all that much. Also I believe wold3d is very cpu
dependent. The only way your gonna see a very high improvement would be to get
one of the latest cards like the 5900 or ATI 9700/9800 radeon, but then your
cpu would be a big bottleneck for cpu dependent games.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ANTant@zimage.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2003, 03:35 AM
PRIVATE1964 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I can run


Heh, I can't stand 800x600 unless it good old Diablo. I like high resolutions at
1024x768 and 1152x768 depending on the tiny fonts since I only have a 17" CRT
monitor.


> the game settings maxed out at 1024x768, 2XAA, 4XAF, but there might be a
> couple of places where the framerate might dip below 42fps. I want the graphics
> to be the best they can, with a good framerate. To me that is 42fps or higher.
> Also the visual difference between 8XAF and 4XAF is slight, but the fps hit is
> high. I tested this with screenshots from Wolf3D. Going to a newer FX card
> might help with higher AA and AF settings, as someone mentioned but the
> increase in framerate won't be all that much. Also I believe wold3d is very cpu
> dependent. The only way your gonna see a very high improvement would be to get
> one of the latest cards like the 5900 or ATI 9700/9800 radeon, but then your
> cpu would be a big bottleneck for cpu dependent games.


Yeah, I wonder if it is even worth upgrading my video card.
--
"He who dislikes aardvarks was an ant in his former life." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)NT
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
 
Reply With Quote
 
k y l e
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2003, 04:13 AM
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PRIVATE1964 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I

can run
>
> Heh, I can't stand 800x600 unless it good old Diablo. I like high

resolutions at
> 1024x768 and 1152x768 depending on the tiny fonts since I only have a 17"

CRT
> monitor.
>


Heh, i'm the opposite - everything's too small and hard to see on those
resolutions.

Mind you, I only have a 14'' monitor, so 800x600 is pretty much the best I
can do anyway (coupled with the low refresh rate of my monitor).


 
Reply With Quote
 
ANTant@zimage.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2003, 09:35 AM
k y l e <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > PRIVATE1964 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I

> can run
> >
> > Heh, I can't stand 800x600 unless it good old Diablo. I like high

> resolutions at
> > 1024x768 and 1152x768 depending on the tiny fonts since I only have a 17"

> CRT
> > monitor.
> >


> Heh, i'm the opposite - everything's too small and hard to see on those
> resolutions.


> Mind you, I only have a 14'' monitor, so 800x600 is pretty much the best I
> can do anyway (coupled with the low refresh rate of my monitor).


Ah, 14". Yes, I remember those. You should get a bigger screen.
--
"He who dislikes aardvarks was an ant in his former life." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)NT
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How smooth is your AMD Athlon 2200+ with a GeForce4 Ti4200? White Spirit Nvidia 15 09-02-2003 06:12 PM
Re: How smooth is your AMD Athlon 2200+ with a GeForce4 Ti4200? Martin Eriksson Nvidia 2 07-30-2003 07:31 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment