Re: Sqiggly Monitor Mess!

blindsman

Gateway Performance 500 PC Win 98

All of a sudden the WHOLE monitor is full of squiggly lines and
characters...on Bootup!

always a reliable machine...Monitor is an EV910 19"

I Purchased pc 12/99

Any ideas???

Thanks

Ben Myers

When you say "on bootup", do you mean that the initial screen displayed by the
BIOS is messed up? If so, I would try another monitor, if you can beg or
borrow one. If the mess persists with another monitor, the graphics subsystem
(either on board or graphics card) has failed. If the graphics chip is an
nVidia chip, these are well-known to fail due to excessive heat over the life of
the chip. Some nVidia graphics cards have cooling fans which get clogged with
dust and dirt, then stop turning.

If the on-screen mess goes away with another monitor, then the EV910 has failed.
No sense in repairing it. Replacements are inexpensive. If you somewhere
near I-495 and Rte 2 in Massachusetts, I have modestly priced replacements in my
warehouse... Ben Myers